Help identifying a succulent.

ironhat2(Z8/MS)January 18, 2007

Hy folks,

I have a succculent that came indirectly to me from an elderly aunt. My grandmother raised this plant long years ago on the old home place. I was told that the common name they remember it by was "Man of War".

It is a broad leaf succulent, and will grow tall if not cut back. It makes a purple/lavender bell shape like flower. Leaves can grow very large, and is easy to propagate from the leaves or cuttings in a soil mix.

Any ideas?

Dan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mrbrownthumb(z5 Chicago)

Are the leaves sort of gray and fuzzy?

Bookmark   January 18, 2007 at 8:10PM
ironhat2(Z8/MS)

mrbrownthumb,

The leaf seems to be smooth and a dark green from what I have observed in growing these guys from leave sprouts.

They are pretty plants, I have had them grow tall when left in a pot.

I have searched in vain on line for a picture gallery for succulents that may have these fellas in them. No luck!

Dan

Bookmark   January 18, 2007 at 8:29PM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

How about posting a picture?

Bookmark   January 18, 2007 at 11:45PM
ironhat2(Z8/MS)

hoovb,

I went and dug one out of the cold frame. Our winter has been mild here, with only a few nights in the 20 degree range. These guys are tough characters and weather the cold well. T picture isn;t as good as I could have gotten, but take a look.

http://www.picturepuppy.com/images/ironhat2/manofwar5.jpg

Thanks evey one for the help!

Dan

Bookmark   January 20, 2007 at 7:31PM
ironhat2(Z8/MS)

Going to try and post it again!

Dan

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.picturepuppy.com/thumbs/ironhat2/manofwar5

Bookmark   January 21, 2007 at 10:48AM
ironhat2(Z8/MS)

I have tried attaching site where you could veiw pictures of this plant on the web. GW rejected my URL listings.

I was able to post a picture on the "name that plant" forum under the subject heading of "Succulent ID". A list member replied that it might be Bryophyllum daigremontianum. While I agree with that the stalk and flower of the Bryophyllum daigremontianum looks almost identical, the leaves of this unnamed succulant is flat similar to the leaves of a kalancoe. A google search stated that the Bryophyllum daigremontianum is also known as the mexican top hat plant. I have a few of these plants, and the leaves are totaly different in shape of this unamed succulent.

Any ideas?

Dan

Bookmark   January 21, 2007 at 8:54PM
rjm710

It does look like Bryophyllum. Below is a web site with pics to help narrow down the species...

Here is a link that might be useful: Bryophyllum.com

Bookmark   January 22, 2007 at 5:43AM
ironhat2(Z8/MS)

rjm710,

Thank you for the site. Some one on the "name this plant" forum suggested it might be a Bryophyllum pinnatum. When I pulled it up after a search on the web, I found a picture of the plant and flowers that looks exactly like the plant I have. But after looking at the site you psoted, the leaves of one of the plants look close also.

If the plant I have is truely a Bryophyllum pinnatum, I had no idea it was used in other countries as herbal medicine. Thanks to all who responded to this inquiry. It has truely been a learning experience.

Dan

Bookmark   January 22, 2007 at 7:49AM
More Discussions
Kalanchoes outdoors in southern California
the following are some photos of some of the less common...
palmbob
Pest and diseases in Aloes (photos?)
Hi everyone, Can anyone refer me to a website or a...
juper
Repotting Echeverias
Hi! I'm a beginner at gardening and need advice on...
Carlyn Ceniza
Help needed with cutting
Hey guy I have a neighbour who has this jade first...
Hamza Nobes
Help! what's wrong with these succulents
They are with me just only for 2 months. Their leaves...
hm825
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™