Black Swallowtail enclosing early

tnu07mom(z8 SC)March 13, 2012

I had some black swallowtails overwintering in my attic. With our strange winter and this weeks warm temperatures being forecast, I went up to bring them down and put them in the refrigerator for a few weeks. To my surprise I found a newly enclosed butterfly. He had just enclosed this morning since the fluid on the bottom of the aquarium was still wet.

We have trees flowering everywhere and warm temps forecast for the next couple of weeks. I am hoping he can survive. I am considering calling our local science center's butterfly lady first to see if they have an indoor exhibit. My question is what to do with the other two chrysalis? They all formed within a few days of each other. Do I leave them, or can I cool them down now? I am afraid it may be too late if they are close to enclosing,

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)

I think it's too late. Besides, from what I've heard on the weather, spring has sprung, at least they're not showing any near-future cold spells here, probably not in SC.
My third black swallowtail has emerged this morning, a female. I'll release her some time today.
Congrats on your butterfly!
Sherry

Bookmark   March 13, 2012 at 10:51AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tnu07mom(z8 SC)

Glad to know mine aren't the only ones. I left him drying his wings in the aquarium. I may move him to my butterfly cage for the night and release him in the morning since It will be after 5 when I get home. I willget some flowers to put in there for nectar. My friend has plenty of flowering quince, blueberry bushes and bradford pears, so that is where I am releasing him.

Bookmark   March 13, 2012 at 1:32PM
More Discussions
Low desert pipevines
Has anyone had any success growing butterfly host pipevines...
joncongaroo
Snow and ice,come on spring !
Snow and ice on the ground here in arkansas today,has...
arkpollinator
Spring preview
Unseasonably warm temps caused early flowering of desert...
joncongaroo
Urgent!
I am worried about my Cecropia cocoon because I went...
Jacob BergZone4b-5aMN
Monarch Caterpillars out of food!
I grow a few milkweeds for the monarch butterflies,...
SoFL Rose z10
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™