Aechmea Suenos

bromadams(10b)March 8, 2009

Anybody growing A Suenos? I was quite surprised to find mine blooming today. It's only 4 inches tall! Given it's recurvata heritage, I'll have to do a bigeneric cross or two.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
avane_gw

A very cute little thing! I just found that the pups does not flower the following season, but mine has developed into a nice clump and I should have plenty of flowers this coming Winter. I also like the way the pups come out looking very much like grass and as they mature, they develop into a nice little rosette with wiger, less pointy leaves!

Japie

Bookmark   March 9, 2009 at 6:22AM
LisaCLV(HI)

Here's my Sueños:

Is yours blooming now, Japie? This seems to be the time of year for those of us north of the equator. I would have expected it to be the opposite for you.

Bookmark   March 9, 2009 at 1:45PM
bromadams(10b)

I read some where that suenos is supposed to get almost black if out in the sun. I've been giving my little group a decent amount of sun and the smaller pups are starting to turn color, but I can't imagine them getting almost black.

Bookmark   March 9, 2009 at 3:18PM
avane_gw

Lisa, yours has got a HUGE inflorescence! Is it the clone, or if I start feeding mine will it do the same? I took the picture in July 2007, so it looks like a Winter bloomer all over.

Mine is currently planted in full sun. Ok, full morning sun - from sun up till about 13h00. And they are still green. I'll see if I can manage a flash photo otherwise I'll get one tomorrow.

Bookmark   March 9, 2009 at 3:31PM
bromadams(10b)

My small group showing a hint of color.

Bookmark   March 9, 2009 at 11:11PM
LisaCLV(HI)

That inflo was somewhat larger than usual, Japie, which is what prompted me to take the picture, but they usually do make a nice round ball. I'm pretty sure I got it from Tropiflora many years ago. A little fertilizer might help, but I suspect it's more a matter of the clump not having been divided in a long time. Mine's been out in full sun for years and the foliage has never gone anywhere near black, in fact it's quite green compared to some of the other recurvata types.

Bookmark   March 10, 2009 at 12:23AM
brom_todd(Melbourne, Australia)

Mine aren't flowering at the moment (late Summer/Autumn) but have been in full sun for a few years and the leaf bases are quite dark. Not something you notice until you get really close.

Bookmark   March 12, 2009 at 7:27AM
More Discussions
Vriesea pups, are they even alive?
I just separated them today, after the parent was already...
Dekumask
colour change + floppy plants
hi all, i was shocked to find that 2 of my plants had...
drmedusae
wanted: wanted: this type of hibiscus
I'm helping my grandmother with a few flowers. She...
bobbygrady
Impulsiv-ity and Tillandsia
Good Morning! Newbie here (to all plants). In an extremely...
Kristinkle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™