H. 'Exotic Star'

lenanenNovember 18, 2012

My 'Exotic Star' and it's first flowers! It's simply stunning!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dondeldux

Just beautiful Lena! Exotic Star is one of my all time favorites..when I first got my bulb about 3 years ago it bloomed with 2 stalks, each with "4" flowers and then a few weeks later it sent up another stalk with "4" more flowers. It hasn't performed as well since then but, the flowers are always outstanding..

For some reason it appears that my flowers had more pigment than yours does or is it just your camera?

How many flowers on yours?

Donna

Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 12:27PM
lenanen

Hi Donna and thanks! I've been admiring your guys' Exotic Stars and hoping to get one too. Well now I have and I have actually two of them, after the first one arrived I had to order one more! :D

I looked up your ES and you're absolutely right, yours has very intense coloration, a lot stronger than mine and the red lines in yours are wider, aren't they. You have a sensational specimen.

Maybe there is some variation in ES colorwise? Mine does look like that, as pictured. There is a prominent shade of green and the red stripes or lines are pencil-thin, as if they were delicately drawn or dappled on the layer of green. It is very, very charming I think, very lovely.

Oh and there are only two flowers; this is the first scape, there's another soon to open, I suspect it has two also, it looks just as slim as this one was.

Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 2:20PM
haxuan(Vietnam)

That is a beautiful bloom, Lena. Thanks for sharing.

Donna: My ES also has only two blooms on each stalk while yours always has four! Envious here :)

Xuan

Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 8:47PM
jungle87(Southern Illinois, 6b, 7a)

Wow, I love it beautiful.

Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 1:34AM
lenanen

Xuan, Jungle, thank you!! Today she looks even more papilio-like and I just adore her looks. There is something so regal about her...

These first two flowers I've pollinated with Naranja and Flamingo Star. And I've put her pollen on every hippie-flower in the house :D

I'll be collecting her pollen from the future flowers and using it on 'Jungle Star' at least.

Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 11:41AM
haweha

Pictures like your's are the reason that I consider "Exotic Star" for one of the very best Papilio hybrids.
Thank you for sharing this!

Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 2:21PM
lenanen

Hans, thank you. It sure is amazing. - The second scape is opening soon, and then there's the other ES growing... Since it is from the same source I don't expect any major differences in color or shape.

Bookmark   November 20, 2012 at 10:08AM
More Discussions
test
just trying to figure out if i am signed in
snowdogmama
Red Flaslh
If I have a favorite Komoriya bulb I think Red Flash...
jstropic
Help Me Grow A Worsleya
Hello. I'm a avid collector of amaryllis bulbs. I heard...
robnelms
Hippeastrum machupijchense pollen available
Figured it would be a waste to throw it out. My machupijchense bloomed...
brownest_thumb
Did anyone get an H004?
The buds on mine are exposed and the color is looking...
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™