Why doesn't my butterfly bush bloom?

rickardo(5 Denver suburb)March 2, 2013

I have a purple butterfly bush plented in 2004. It's only bloomed once or twice since then and only small blooms. I've tried pruning it in winter and I've tried letting it grow. Need help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Leafhead

Is it getting enough sun?
Pruning in winter is not advisable, as you don't know what you're cutting. Try pruning in Spring after the buds have started growing.
Try fertilizing c Bloom Builder in Spring.

Bookmark   March 2, 2013 at 10:54AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
molanic(Zone 5 IL)

I would think the problem is not enough sun. It could also be a nutrient imbalance. Too much nitrogen relative to phosphorus and potassium can cause lots of green growth without much flowering.

Pruning should not be an issue since they bloom on new wood. I cut mine down to about a foot tall in the spring. You can wait to prune until you see new growth to determine how far the die-back was in winter. Leaving it up in winter protects the plant somewhat and provides winter interest too.

For me the store-bought butterfly bushes always performed poorly. They usually only lasted a year or two and never got any size to them. Then I wintersowed some seed I got in a swap and have had the resulting plants for almost 5 years now. The one in full sun shoots up to almost 7' tall every summer after cutting back to 12" in spring. It is loaded with blooms that I deadhead to keep it blooming until a hard frost. I have never fertilized it, but we do have a more clay based soil that retains nutrients. I think some of the more cultivated varieties and hybrids have probably sacrificed hardiness and vigorousness for the sake of compact size and new colored blooms.

Bookmark   March 2, 2013 at 1:26PM
More Discussions
Disney's "Wings of Life"
If you want to be truly astonished by the beauty and...
saxonmjs
Coral Honeysuckle
I remember reading that Coral Honeysuckle is a good...
jane__ny
Commercial grown Milkweed
http://texasbutterflyranch.com/2015/02/27/mega-grower-color-spot-nursery-to-consider-growing-clean-chemical-free-milkweed/...
arkpollinator
Did anyone watch the Monarch Butterfly segment on CBS Sunday Morning?
This was interesting and inspirational! The speaker...
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
looking for mistletoe
Would love to attract a purple hairstreak .... any...
Meredith Mays
Sponsored Products
E22064 Bloom 9-light Chandelier
LBC Lighting
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Home Decorators Collection Rugs
Home Depot
Handmade Light Purple Blended Wool Rug (5' x 8')
Overstock.com
Blue Slim Vintage Vase
$8.99 | zulily
Hinkley Lighting | Monaco 3 Light Chandelier
$499.00 | YLighting
Kenroy Home Full Bloom Fountain
Lamps Plus
Crestview Collection Hydrangea Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
kathy ireland Office by Bush Furniture Grand Expressions 58 in. TV Stand Multico
$423.98 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™