Puya seedlings

mooseling(Z5 CO)April 16, 2010

I have about ten seedlings of Puya. Can't remember the species - alpestris, maybe? Anyway, they're in a plastic deli container about four centimeters deep. They've been growing fine for several months now, but now that they're getting a bit larger, some are looking a bit crowded. I can see the roots on the bottom of the container, but not too many. Should I move them to separate pots? Is there a particular time of year it's best to do so? Is there anything special that I should do when I move them? I'm not very knowledgeable about bromeliads, so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hotdiggetydam

If the plants are touching the sides or top. Its time to start hardening them off and give them a larger place to grow. It depends on how big they are now if the need a seperate pot or a larger community pot

Bookmark   April 16, 2010 at 6:46AM
bromadams(10b)

What kind of mix are you growing them in?

Bookmark   April 16, 2010 at 9:59AM
mooseling(Z5 CO)

They've already been hardened off and are growing in seedling mix. I'm sure it's just a standard commercial seedling mix. The seedlings themselves aren't all that big - the largest is maybe 1.5 cm? They are starting to get some spikes, though.

Bookmark   April 16, 2010 at 5:51PM
More Discussions
ID this curly Bromeliad
Ready to put these in the ground. Forgot to ask the...
halfwaythere1
ID please
PAnother blooming that needs ID Thanx Carmen
gardencraze
HAVE: Neoregelias and cryptanthus for trade
Have Neoregelia Giant Fireball and Donger, also several...
ken_ny
hotdiggetydam
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™