ID help, Please

bob_71(z7 MD)March 18, 2012

Looks like I'm starting out where I left off...in need of either confirmation or correction.

Spring has arrived early here this year. I have been seeing Cabbage Whites for a few weeks, so I wasn't surprised to see this pale yellow butterfly fluttering just above my Common Ivy bed. It pitched on an ivy leaf and I approached reasonably close to see if it was a Cabbage White. It showed no skittishness so I went inside and got my camera. I approached fairly close and it stayed put. I made several exposures, with and without, flash. The markings seem to indicate Clouded Sulphur to me, but it was slightly smaller than a typical Cabbage White.

Thanks,

Bob

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)

I agree, I think it's a female clouded sulphur.
You always make the most beautiful pictures, Bob! Keep posting them!

I made this picture a few hours ago of a palamedes swallowtail nectaring on my most brilliantly colored native azalea. This one is a hybrid cultivar of Rhododendron austrinum called 'Scarlet Ibis' - it always knocks my socks off in spring!

Sherry

Bookmark   March 18, 2012 at 2:32PM
bob_71(z7 MD)

The native azaleas are certainly among the most vivid! Really good shot of a swallowtail variety that I am not lucky enough to have seen in my area.

Thanks for the ID confirmation.

Bob

Bookmark   March 18, 2012 at 6:45PM
mboston_gw

I saw my first ever Palamedes yesterday while we were waiting in the open train car at Thomas the Train with my grandson. There were lots of butterflies at the edge of this wooded area. We saw Monarchs, Zebra Longwings, Sulphurs, Giants, and the Palamedes. Lots of nectaring on the native Lantana. There had to have been more plants there hidden in the undergrowth that we couldn't see for the variety of species.

Bookmark   March 18, 2012 at 9:50PM
More Discussions
Florida Butterflies.
I have posted before. I live in Sarasota, Florida and...
jane__ny
Low desert pipevines
Has anyone had any success growing butterfly host pipevines...
joncongaroo
Forum changes due to Houzz
I'm never happy when somebody buys up a website I use...
KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH
Urgent!
I am worried about my Cecropia cocoon because I went...
Jacob BergZone4b-5aMN
Spring preview
Unseasonably warm temps caused early flowering of desert...
joncongaroo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™