My Plant is smelling....Anyone know why?

oneleggedduckApril 16, 2013

I recently purchased a beautiful Bromeliad from local discount store. I have really enjoyed it and watered it daily as the instruction card indicated. I have rotated it 2x daily to make sure it is getting adequate sunlight, moving it to a different room, etc.
I picked it up today and noticed a very strong smell coming from it. Almost smells like ruined milk. Anyone know what is going on? I am a novice gardener. I did spray it a couple of times into the middle part that is flowering...as I noticed just a tad of something that looked like mold/fungus, etc. I used a plant spray specifically for that.
I hope I don't have to chunk it!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hotdiggetydam

Water in the cup should be dumped out weekly and fresh put in it.

Bookmark   April 16, 2013 at 6:04PM
oneleggedduck

I don't even water it in the cup....as I saw on the web, it was not necessary unless it was kept outside....which it isn't.

Bookmark   April 16, 2013 at 10:29PM
gonzer_gw

Don't believe everything you read on the Web. Outside or not, water in the cup.

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 7:17AM
rednofl(9b Goldenrod Fl hz 10)

You've probably got a guz. dont water in the flower but water in the leaf below the flower. I would let the soil dry out . The surest way to kill a brom is to overwater it. Mist it daily but water it when it dry's out,

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 5:18PM
hotdiggetydam

If it was a Guz it wouldn't have the smell. Look on FCBS.org at Neoregelia photos and see if its a cup type. Could also be Aechmea or several other cup types. Without a photo its only a guess. But keep clean water in the cup no matter what the web says. Water the soil when it is dry and you will have a happy plant and plenty of pups.

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 10:19PM
udom

It got rotton from too much water.

Bookmark   April 19, 2013 at 7:50AM
love_the_yard(z9A Jax FL)

I think the confusion here is how much water and where.

1) You wrote that you water the plant daily. Stop watering the plant except, as experts above say, when it dries out. If you keep your plant indoors, that will probably be every three weeks or so (or maybe even longer). Do not water on a schedule. Water when the plant is dry.

2) You said that you don't put water in the cup. Start putting water in the cup. Change it out weekly. Do that by tipping the plant slightly sideways either outside or in the sink and letting the old water run out. Then pour fresh water into the cup (or, if a guzmania, in the second leaf set).

Happy owner, happy plant. :)

Carol in Jacksonville

Bookmark   April 19, 2013 at 3:05PM
stanofh

The soil went sour. Peat too wet too long. Don't let water collect under it for long if you have a sauce under it. Once you put it outside,that same plant will be near no care.

Bookmark   April 20, 2013 at 5:21PM
More Discussions
ID please
PAnother blooming that needs ID Thanx Carmen
gardencraze
photo #2 of id - exserta hybrid?
Here is the photo of the bloom spike. my apologies...
Brian311
Buying broms
Where is the best place to buy bromeliads online? Would...
josephene_gw
Problems with scale
Members, Indiana grower here. I have a major problem...
HoosierBob SW Indiana Zone 5
id help- tillandsia exserta hybrid?
I traded a friend of mine for this.Its original tag...
Brian311
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™