There Must Have Been a Hibernaculum in the Cherry Tree....

misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)March 17, 2012

....right in front of my porch, because I practically ran into this late instar red-spotted purple caterpillar today -

I put this one in a cage on my porch to make sure a wasp didn't get it. I've seen them patrolling lately, and I've also seen them kill late instar RSP/Viceroy cats. And it's easy to keep black cherry branches fresh in water.

I've decided not to bring the American lady cats in to raise myself, because they're on cudweed, which is hard to keep fresh. And I'd have to cut cudweed which I suspect has eggs or very early instar cats on it now that I can't see.

Here's a picture I took last fall of a cat going into a hibernaculum in another, nearby cherry tree. I haven't found a caterpillar in that tree, as least not yet.

Sherry

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
susanlynne48(OKC7a)

That is so cool, Misssherry! My BC is about to be fully leafed out, too. I don't get RSPs, but I do get Tigers.

Black Cherry and Willow are both moisture loving trees, but I wonder why Willow doesn't hold up as well in water. Hmmmm.

Susan

Bookmark   March 17, 2012 at 6:12PM
caterwallin

Neat pictures, Sherry! That's one kind of butterfly cat that I've never raised. I have willow trees, but they're not very big, about 8 feet. My cherry trees are even smaller, but I never go into the woods where we planted them. That kind of tree gets huge, and I didn't want to put it in our yard, but now if they get cats, I'll never know it. You're so lucky to be able to see the RSP cats. We get the butterflies here, although I don't see them very often.
Cathy

Bookmark   March 17, 2012 at 7:21PM
bernergrrl(z5 IL)

Oh, I love those lumpy guys! Thank you for the picture! Miss seeing them--they're amazing how they can survive winter.

Bookmark   March 17, 2012 at 9:52PM
More Discussions
We need Monarch wings to help injured Monarchs!
We are looking for Monarch wings anyone has saved from...
KSOhio
Butterflies in my house - what should I do?
I found a cabbage white fluttering between the inner...
joannpalmyra
Aristolochia fimbriata seeds for trade
I have a lot (probably 100+) of fresh seed from my...
CrazyPlantLady1
Camera settings for butterflies...part II
The first part of this series on custom settings established...
bob_71
This stuff is hard
I have a ten acre prairie restoration that I have made...
rollie
Sponsored Products
Elk Lighting Secret Tree Bookends - Set of 3 - 91-4072
$76.00 | Hayneedle
Palm Tree Dessert Bowls
Classic Hostess
Canada Sign Resin Ornament
$7.99 | zulily
Handmade Wooden Candlesticks Table Lamp With Bird Nest Shade
ParrotUncle
Real Carriage Weathered Plank - BDK-THG-3681-N
$675.00 | Hayneedle