Oh, The Horror of It All

cactusmcharrisJanuary 18, 2011

Three Mamms, with a glufer of a flower (not even the correct colour or shape/size) and carefully-sprayed-on light adhesive on the river-pebble top dressing. Yech.

Ghastly, yet the irony of me, a cactophile, getting one...well, God does have a sense of humour, eh?

I intend to find out from the ladies who gave this to me where they purchased it from. Then my attorneys (Dewey, Cheatam and Howe) will be contacting the store and demanding that they sell these sorts of plants with an advisory label of something like 'This isn't a real flower and we sure chose a cheesy way of planting them together'. Hey, it's Canada, it's almost Human Rights Commission-worthy.

And yet, does not one find beauty in the world when one can look for it? Zeus (l) and Emma, resting from their labours. This photo is plant-connected because the garbage can on the left contains thawing potting soil and manure - yum, yum, there's going to be some repotting in the ol' town soon.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron1017(6)

It is a real flower, but not a cactus flower. It is a dried straw flower;probably Helichrysum bracteatum.

Bookmark   January 18, 2011 at 2:03PM
beachplant(9b)

Oh, I just love those glued on straw flowers! Especially when I try to rip them off, tear off a chunk of the cactus or leave the glue behind. Exactly how do they get that pebble stuff so stuck together? Its kind of like the stuff around pools.

It IS Canda, you can probably get a grant or federal funding.

Thankfully the plants are now in a secure location.
Tally HO!

Bookmark   January 18, 2011 at 2:26PM
cactusmcharris

Ron,

I didn't know that it was a real flower - I did know that it wasn't a Mammillaria flower. I'm in Kamloops - where are you?

BP,

I think it's spray adhesive, but it wasn't complete - the reason you don't get a picture of it completely upside down.

Remember that Canada is the country with the Conservative gubmint.

Yep, the plants are on a no-fly list.

Bookmark   January 18, 2011 at 3:08PM
amccour

I've noticed that a lot of Mamms seem quite happy to start flowering within a store. Yet they still have straw flowers glued to them. So you end up with this confusing situation where you've got a bunch of real flowers and then this huge fake straw flower that looks nothing like the real ones.

Bookmark   January 18, 2011 at 3:29PM
Ron1017(6)

cactusmcharris'
I'm in West Kelowna.

Bookmark   January 18, 2011 at 6:05PM
More Discussions
Is it ok to plant this in the ground?
It's opuntia englmanii in the clay based houston soil....
spikef35
What's your growing area look like
Includes patios greenhouses ect. Notice the lack of...
spikef35
daves10z7annv
April blooms!
Aloe blue elf and euphorbia milii?Mammilaria eglans...
spikef35
Alex's Succulents Masterpost
Hey everyone! Hope this won't be too much of a bother;...
Alex
Sponsored Products
Premium Select Golden Espresso 54-Inch Ceiling Fan with Vintage Walnut Rattan Ha
$598.00 | Bellacor
Feiss Barrington Bathroom Wall Light - 37W in. Brushed Steel - VS12704-BS
$202.00 | Hayneedle
Vintage Steel And Vinyl Bench
$840.00 | Chairish
Square Tieback
$49.00 | FRONTGATE
nw-b LED Puck Light Kit Black Finish Neutral White
EnvironmentalLights.com
Serena & Lily Color Frame Duvet Cover
Serena & Lily
Dale Tiffany Cosmos Pairpoint Three-Light Pendant