Parsley question

alex928 Z8/LAMarch 19, 2013

I haven't posted here in quite a long time, but I have a bit of a concern. I recently acquired some parsley which I am hoping a butterfly finds someday soon, but I have noticed that some of the leaves are curling. It's flat-leaf parsley so I know it's not supposed to be doing that. Even newer leaves that are just coming up are curling. Any idea what could be causing it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)

No, parsley can't survive the heat here, so I never plant it. Maybe somebody else will know.

Sherry

Bookmark   March 20, 2013 at 4:04PM
Leafhead

Could be either heat stress or some kind of mite. Try growing Fennel; you'll be guaranteed excellent results.
Fennel is easy to grow and provides plenty of food for growing, hungry cats.
It is also tasty in cooking:-)

Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 7:16AM
alex928 Z8/LA

It could have been the heat, since it's been cooler for the last couple of days and I think some of the leaves aren't looking quite so curled today (of course it could just be my imagination). I've read that parsley doesn't do well in the heat, although I've had it many recent summers and it's usually done all right (I've only had one die off entirely). Of course, if this one is having trouble with the warmish weather we've had lately, it may have a hard time in the summer, which is when I usually get eggs. Adding fennel is probably a good idea, although I don't know a lot about it...I'm guessing it handles the heat better? Can it be grown in pots? If so, I may wind up getting some of that too.

Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 2:31PM
Leafhead

Fennel is easy to grow, does well in large pots, though it needs more water, and lasts a couple of years. Likes full sun, but will tolerate light shade.
You should get a producing batch by Summer for quite a few caterpillars.
I start mine from seed right about now and add to them c 4" pots later in the Spring.

Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 2:13AM
KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH

I'd be looking at Mock Bishop's Weed (Ptilimnium capillaceum) since it can take the heat.

Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 9:18AM
More Discussions
Florida Butterflies.
I have posted before. I live in Sarasota, Florida and...
jane__ny
Help for monarchs?
US Fish and Wildlife is spending some money to save...
socalgal_gw Zone USDA 10b Sunset 24
Camera settings for butterflies...part II
The first part of this series on custom settings established...
bob_71
Monarch Caterpillars out of food!
I grow a few milkweeds for the monarch butterflies,...
SoFL Rose z10
Ordered seeds.
I ordered some seeds today and was wondering how I...
Jacob BergZone4b-5aMN
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™