Seed to bloom

carmen_grower_2007(4/5)November 30, 2010

How long does it take? About 10 years ago, I started lots of seeds that I had crossed with two unknown varieties. I transplanted them to the yard once the soil was warm. They were growing beautifully with lush foliage.

Well, we had to sell our house and move. I had lots of named daylilies I dug and took with me, but left the Amaryllis. Now, I wish I could have seen them bloom! Want to try again, but need seeds -- where would I get them and how long will it be before the bulbs are blooming size?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dondeldux

Hi Carmen, It only takes about 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 years to get a blooming size bulb as long as they're happy. Stick around the forum, amaryllis season is just getting into full swing and folks may have some extra seeds in a couple of months. I'll have a few extra seeds in a few months also..Or, you can go to Lowe's or someother place buy 2 or 3 different varieties and pollen for your own creations. If you're in zone 4/5 you'll be growing them inside for most of the year....too bad you had to leave your others, they were probably very pretty, hopefully, someone else was able to enjoy them...

Donna

Bookmark   November 30, 2010 at 4:03PM
More Discussions
Did anyone get an H004?
The buds on mine are exposed and the color is looking...
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
H. Santos
My 3, H. Santos, bulbs all have 2 scapes and appear...
jimnpa (6a PA USA)
Hippeastrum correiense
From Komoriya.. Sooo hopeful for the blooms.. What...
radhavall
Holding my breath ...
My Noid is about to reveal her identity …
bragu_DSM 5
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™