Bromeliads under oak trees?

cynthiainsouthflaApril 11, 2012

Hi, guys, never posted in this forum before but have a question about placing some of my bromeliads under my live oaks. I was told that I should not have done that because the oak leaves will fall into the cups and kill the plant.

Now I'm paranoid about it and I go out every now and then and pull out some of the oak leaves which results in being stuck by tiny bromeliad thorns. One of my neoregelias seems not to be doing well, but the achmeas and other neos seem okay, so maybe it has other issues.

Does anyone have an opinion on this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
splinter1804

Hi everyone,

Cynthia - I don't know what type of Oak Tree you have; is it the one with the broard leaf like an "English Oak" or does it have the needle like leaves like what we call a "She Oak" or "Swamp Oak" (Casuarina) in Australia?

I have no personal experience about these leaves being harmful to brom's except what I once read about a grower who put his plants beneath a She Oak (fine needle like leaves) and all the plants rotted in the cups which were full of needles.

Plants he had placed beneath other different trees on the same property were OK so the assumption was that the She Oak needles were harmful to brom's.

If in doubt wash them out well and move to a new location.

I hope this helps you a bit.

All the best, Nev.

Bookmark   April 11, 2012 at 7:35PM
cynthiainsouthfla

They are live oaks.

The leaves are not needle-like. They're just leaves, not as broad as a regular oak, I don't think, but not needles. I like the way the broms look where they are and would like to keep them there if possible.

Bookmark   April 12, 2012 at 1:34PM
rednofl(9b Goldenrod Fl hz 10)

Do a search in the Florida gardening forum it has been discussed there. I have 5 different Neos growing under mine and I clean the cups when we have a big leaf drop. Some neos. are doing well some are not. The Achmeas don't seem to care. So I think it may be more about the types you grow there. I run in the morning and a few miles away there is an Oak tree that has neos achmeas and guzmons thriving they are kept very clean.

Bookmark   April 20, 2012 at 8:52AM
More Discussions
NOID brom with blue inflo
any idea what this might be? the color is just unbelievable!...
petrushka
Anybody want to ID these Tillandsias?
I got 7 Tillandsias yesterday from a small store.....
MrBlubs
ID please
PAnother blooming that needs ID Thanx Carmen
gardencraze
Aech ampla
Does anybody out there grow Aech ampla? Do you have...
avane_gw
HAVE: Neoregelias and cryptanthus for trade
Have Neoregelia Giant Fireball and Donger, also several...
ken_ny
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™