Aechmea pineliana in bloom..

stanofhApril 30, 2009

One of my favorites. Keeps that dazzling foliage color all year too.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
avane_gw

Stanofh, that is stunning, one of my favourites too. But isn't that Ae pineliana v. minuta? And if you like this one, consider getting yourself an Ae Vaquero (maculata x pineliana v. minuta).

Japie

Bookmark   April 30, 2009 at 5:46PM
avane_gw

I forgot to add the picture. If given enough sun, this plant gets a much more orangey glow.

Ae Vaquero

Bookmark   April 30, 2009 at 5:55PM
mike4284m(z10b Ft. Lauderdale, FL)

Great plants. I love that one Japie. I was just mentioning the other day how few broms have a real orange to them.

Bookmark   April 30, 2009 at 7:06PM
stanofh

I just forgot to add the minuta part.
That Vaquero is sharp. I wonder if the day will ever come when nurserys will actually offer broms that have colorful foliage?-THAT last's much longer than any bloom.
The pineliana clan has very good hardiness here in the cool bay area Japie. So Vaquero might be worth an online search..unless you or anybody knows who has it in stock?

Bookmark   April 30, 2009 at 7:36PM
paul_t23(Coastal Sydney)

Hi Stan and Japie - great looking plants.

Stan, is that Ae. pineliana minuta a particular clone to develop that colour? Or are all Ae. p. minuta's like that? I think I have to get one for my sunny spot. Come to think of it, I probably need a Vaquero as well.

Cheers, Paul

Bookmark   April 30, 2009 at 11:42PM
avane_gw

Stan, give Michael a call!

Bookmark   May 1, 2009 at 1:42AM
avane_gw

Paul, sorry, I forgot to add : that IS the colour of all the minutas that I know - but to get it, grow them nice and hard. And mounted preferably, with lots of sun. Nice thing, they pup like crazy!

Japie

Bookmark   May 1, 2009 at 1:48AM
paul_t23(Coastal Sydney)

Hi Japie,

Sounds like just the thing I need, and should cook up nicely in the spot I have in mind. Many thanks for letting me know.

Cheers, Paul

Bookmark   May 4, 2009 at 5:34AM
stanofh

The best lighting position is where the sunlight shines from behind or close too behind part of the day..minuta as I have said doesn't just show color then-it literally glows!.
For the first couple of years,I had no idea.I kept my two clumps in part shade where they were green with pale purple bands. Nice,but nothing special. When I got tired of so many baskets at face level-or ducking when higher-I put most of my broms on the pergola's top rafters. Two flushes of new leaves later, I got that glow from minuta....

Bookmark   May 4, 2009 at 11:27AM
catkim(San Diego 10/24)

You are so right, when grown hard they look like a totally different plant than when grown in a shadier spot. Mine are blooming now too, I'll have to take a pic to share.

Bookmark   May 4, 2009 at 4:27PM
splinter1804

Hi everyone,
I recently saw a pic of Ae. pineliana minuta which covered the whole roof of an old corrugated iron garden shed. It was a beautiful blaze of colour and the grower attributed its rate of growth to the bottom heat generated by the corrugated iron on the roof.

Unfortunately,I don't remember where I saw the pic.

Paul, I have some spare pups. If you would like one, send me an email.

All the best, Nev.

Bookmark   May 4, 2009 at 5:31PM
catkim(San Diego 10/24)

Compare this shade-grown clump (past bloom, been dividing it up):

...with these grown in full sun for about four or five years:

They don't even look like the same plant, but these looked like the top photo when I first bought them. They didn't enjoy the transition to sun, but the offspring adapted quite well.

Bookmark   May 4, 2009 at 9:18PM
stanofh

That bottom should go in Daves Garden Kim,great color. I'm telling you-other than my posts,I don't think you will find the minuta's on the net in their "glow" form pictured. Just in their dull green camo.

Bookmark   May 4, 2009 at 10:37PM
stanofh

Well,I just checked-should have know better than to say none,but still very few and vastly outnumbered by the plain green.
Kim,-those bottom minuta's,they take yet another form in ground in full sun???..when will this end with these broms?. Now,I'm going to have to take some down and try that. I learn everyday.....

Bookmark   May 5, 2009 at 3:15PM
sdandy

Wow, those look awesome Kim! How tall are they? The leaf lengths look close to the same, just held tighter...is that a fair statement or do they grow a little smaller in full sun as well?
-andy

Bookmark   May 5, 2009 at 10:08PM
catkim(San Diego 10/24)

Just went out to measure. Height of leaves, 14-17 inches. Overall height, including inflorescence, 21-25 inches. On the shade-grown potted version, the leaf length is about 10-13 inches. Glad you like the photos. I always thought the contrast was striking.

Bookmark   May 5, 2009 at 10:17PM
sunshine_qld

Will have to get mine out in full sun.

Bookmark   May 6, 2009 at 7:21AM
splinter1804

Hi everyone,

Nice plant Stan, and the colour of catkim's plant really looks something special in the garden.

I've not seen Ae. Vaquero before Japie, it's also very attractive and it looks like another one for the wish list (any Aussies have it?).

I have Ae. pineliana minuta but it is only 9-10" high from the top of the pot to the top of the plant (is there another larger form as well as the minuta?)

I currently grow mine hanging beneath 50% green shade cloth, but from the colours I have seen with catkim's plants in full sun, I'm going to try one on my back porch beneath clear polycarbonate just to see what a difference it makes.

As you can see, the spiders like it also which makes it a bit untidy, but I can live with that as long as they keep eating the other bugs. I don't use insecticides so my plants have to take their chances with all of nature's bugs.

One of my plants of Ae. pineliana minuta.......

....and another

Another plant which I grow in the same place is Ae. nudicaulis and its variety 'Costa Rica'. I like them both for their unpredictable growth habit. If I had a suitable tree, I would try mounting one or two pups.

Ae. Nudicaulis

Ae. Nudicaulis 'Costa Rica'

The flowers are pretty nice also and not unlike Ae. pineliana minuta.

Thanks for the pic's everyone, all the best, Nev.

Bookmark   May 6, 2009 at 5:17PM
stanofh

wow,nudicaulis 'costa rica' goes on the list.Broms that look great out of bloom like that,are high on my list with the micro chip sized yard space I'm stuck with.

Bookmark   May 7, 2009 at 12:51PM
catkim(San Diego 10/24)

Nev, very attractive collection, thanks for posting your pix.

Bookmark   May 7, 2009 at 2:59PM
avane_gw

Stan, check out Ae Tomas Mello on FCBS!

Bookmark   May 7, 2009 at 7:00PM
More Discussions
Aech ampla
Does anybody out there grow Aech ampla? Do you have...
avane_gw
Viresa question
Ok, so I have probalby already managed to kill a small...
cygnwulf
seeking info on Neo Royal Flush
A web search gives me a wide range of conflicting information...
pearlbegonia
Hey Nev!
What's going on with the other forum????
gonzer_gw
ID this curly Bromeliad
Ready to put these in the ground. Forgot to ask the...
halfwaythere1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™