What plants go well with butterfly bush?

suz9601March 29, 2012

I am planting a Miss Molly butterfly bush in the back of the butterfly garden and would like to have some ideas for plants to go in the garden. I don't have too large of an area, maybe 8 ft by 8 ft. What perinnals would go well w/the b.Bush? Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bandjzmom(7 NWGeorgia)

Well, of course butterfly bushes can get pretty big, so Miss Molly might well fill up your space pretty soon. Miss Molly is very pretty. Looks like a dark pink? Maybe a nice bright contrast would be good, like some Black eyed Susans? Maybe some white Garden Phlox?

Bookmark   March 30, 2012 at 7:45AM
christie_sw_mo(Z6)

Around the base of it, I think it would be nice to plant something low growing that blooms early in the spring so you'll have some color before the butterfly bush gets going. Creeping Phlox came to my mind but I'm sure there are others. You could plant those a foot or more from the base and they would fill in. Then you could plant some taller flowers out toward the edge of your bed.

Bookmark   March 30, 2012 at 8:07AM
suz9601

Thank you both for your suggestions. I appreciate it.

Bookmark   March 30, 2012 at 2:57PM
rouge21_gw(5)

suz9601, your situation sounds just like mine as I have just enlarged a garden bed (an extra 8 ft by maybe 9 ft) and I was thinking what to plant in the middle as the anchor plant. How does "Miss Molly" compare to other full size butterfly bushes? Of course the flower is a unique colour (for a butterfly bush) but I get the impression from its description that it blooms sooner in the summer than other such bushes?

Does anyone here have experience yet with this newer cultivar?

Bookmark   April 7, 2012 at 2:51PM
rouge21_gw(5)

suz9601, your situation sounds just like mine as I have just enlarged a garden bed (an extra 8 ft by maybe 9 ft) and I was thinking what to plant in the middle as the anchor plant. How does "Miss Molly" compare to other full size butterfly bushes? Of course the flower is a unique colour (for a butterfly bush) but I get the impression from its description that it blooms sooner in the summer than other such bushes?

Does anyone here have experience yet with this newer cultivar?

Bookmark   April 7, 2012 at 3:10PM
More Discussions
Monsanto and monarchs
http://texasbutterflyranch.com/2015/01/27/monsanto-we-are-absolutely-committed-to-monarch-butterfly-conservation/...
arkpollinator
Spring preview
Unseasonably warm temps caused early flowering of desert...
joncongaroo
Help for monarchs?
US Fish and Wildlife is spending some money to save...
socalgal_gw Zone USDA 10b Sunset 24
Coral Honeysuckle
I remember reading that Coral Honeysuckle is a good...
jane__ny
They're back
Here in Central Florida we are at mid spring. I have...
tom123_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™