How to cultivate bromeliad seeds?

alby(10b)April 6, 2009

This plant has been growing on an old boxwood for several years but has now transferred itself onto a clerodendrum quadriloculare which is growing up into and through the boxwood. Someone in another forum says it is a Tillandsia utriculata. I never knew that an air plant was a bromeliad. As a matter of fact, I wasn't even sure this was an air plant.

Anyway, the seed pods are opening and I am wondering how one goes about growing the seeds. Also, would I be able to move this plant to another location? How would I do that?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gonzer_gw

Alby, that is T. fasciculata, another native of your state. Spread the dandelion-like seeds across a suitable surface (cork slab, piece of bark, piece of screen door, stretched out piece of pantyhose) and mist them till they sort of "glue" themselves to it. Mist them every day, sometimes more, keep in bright, indirect light and watch for algae (might need a fungicide). Grab yourself a good copy of "War and Peace", TIVO the next 5 seasons of American Idol, and kick back. Might take a while. After they've developed their first leaves (within a year) you can substitute a very diluted fertilizer spray for normal mist water.

Bookmark   April 7, 2009 at 7:49AM
alby(10b)

>gonzer wrote: "Grab yourself a good copy of "War and Peace", TIVO the next 5 seasons of American Idol, and kick back. Might take a while"

Ha! Not exactly the sort of thing for someone seeking immediate gratification, is it? By that time "War and Peace" could be history repeating itself. No, sorry, not "War and Peace". It's "Doctor Zhivago" I'm thinking of.

Anyway, thanks for the info!

Bookmark   April 7, 2009 at 4:34PM
alby(10b)

Closer inspection reveals that the plant is not attached to the clerodendrum, but to a dead broken off branch of the boxwood that is lodged amongst the clerodendrum stems. I have no idea how long it has been broken off. Will the air plant survive on a dead broken off branch? If so, I assume I could place the branch with plant attached just about anywhere? If not, is there anything I can do to sustain the T. fasciculata?

Bookmark   April 7, 2009 at 5:00PM
gonzer_gw

Here's some a few months old

July of '08

3 year old T. disticha

what looks like snot (for want of a better word!) is the hair structure of the seeds that glues itself to the medium.

Bookmark   April 7, 2009 at 6:55PM
sdandy

You're killing me Gonzer, just killing me! Well, the tilly seeds are at least. I swear I'm going to successfully get some to grow (some year).

And Alby, yeah, they don't need to be on a living branch (or anything really). A string, wire, branch, anything that lets them hang in the breeze and keep from getting too wet. You can move the branch anywhere (without drastically changing the light conditions) and it should be fine.

Bookmark   April 7, 2009 at 10:54PM
More Discussions
ID please
PAnother blooming that needs ID Thanx Carmen
gardencraze
ID Please
Another one I lost the tag to,can you please help me...
gardencraze
?? Achemea tessmannii
I got this as no ID.. It is blooming and looks similar...
radhavall
NOID brom with blue inflo
any idea what this might be? the color is just unbelievable!...
petrushka
id help- tillandsia exserta hybrid?
I traded a friend of mine for this.Its original tag...
Brian311
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™