Tillandsia help

sosaysiApril 21, 2010

I have had this bromedliad for about a month now and it looks like it's not doing well but I don't know why. The edges of the leaves are brown and dry like they've been burnt (picture: http://greennowanhs.webs.com/photo.jpg) and the pink thing that the flowers come from looks like pieces of the top layer have been chipped off and every time a flower blooms it starts dying and sagging (picture: http://greennowanhs.webs.com/photo2.jpg). I've made sure it gets plenty of sun and water, what is wrong? What should I do?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paul_t23(Coastal Sydney)

Hi,

It's a Tillandsia cyanea or close hybrid and that is just what they do. NB the best way to post pictures on this forum is to set up an account at photobucket (or similar) and use the html line so that the picture is visible in the posting. If you use another website URL, it can look like you are just trying to generate hits on that website (this happens). Hope this helps.

Cheers, Paul

Bookmark   April 21, 2010 at 11:15PM
splinter1804

Hi sosaysi,

Good to see another new member joining our ranks and I hope you have a happy association with us discussing our favourite love, bromeliads.

Although I'm not all that knowledgable about Tillandsias, from what I've seen with my cyaneas I tend to agree with Paul.

I find I also get the die-back on the leaf tips and thought it was just a natural part of the growing cycle. The flowers which come out of the "pink thing" (which is commonly referred to as a paddle) are relatively short lived but this is made up for by the beautiful perfume.

As for posting pic's, like Paul says, set up an account at photobucket or similar (Photobucket is the site most of us use) and use that to post your pic's. If you use the search engine at the top of the page and type in photobucket, you'll get plenty of instructions about how to do it.

Finally, as Gonzer is our resident Tillandsia expert, I'll leaved it up to him to answer your questions in more depth.

All the best, Nev.

Bookmark   April 23, 2010 at 2:08PM
gonzer_gw

Brown tipping and crackling on cyanea are sure signs of low humidity. Mist it frequently. You could also take it out of the sun and move to a less direct light source. I grow mine in shady yet bright spots outside where they're constantly getting wet (inadvertantly) from me watering other stuff.

Bookmark   April 23, 2010 at 2:37PM
geebus

I can offer you no help at all with Till's but I'm pretty good at linking photo's for people :)

And again.

Good luck!
Gordon.

Bookmark   April 24, 2010 at 7:07AM
More Discussions
?? Achemea tessmannii
I got this as no ID.. It is blooming and looks similar...
radhavall
treated timber
So the time has come to rebuild my pergola where I...
Adam Harbeck
Is this a bromeliad???
I got this from my aunt, who wasn't sure what it is....
embolton0620
Sponsored Products
Jackson Bicast Leather Swivel Cherry Bar Stool
Overstock.com
Darlee Santa Anita Club Chair - 301128-1/101
$474.99 | Hayneedle
Mitchell Leather Loveseat - Brighton Aubergine Purple
Joybird Furniture
Boutique Lustrous Solar Shades
Blindsgalore
Purple Oval Baking Dish Set
$34.99 | zulily