Variegated Jade Forest (pics)

greenman28 NorCal 7b/8aJanuary 3, 2013

Let the New Year root-down commence!

This succulent project began last month when I received these most excellent cuttings.
I immediately set to work assembling a mix of screened Fir bark and assorted grit - Turface,
Pumice, Scoria, Perlite, and quartzite. Then I filled the long bonsai planter that I used to root
my last Jade Forest, arranged the cuttings, added a bit more mix to situate the cuttings.

After nearly a month of patience, I assumed the cuttings had sent out roots and were ready
for some moisture. So I gently lifted each cutting, then replaced in the container, and watered
to wet the roots and settle the mix. With a porous, loose mix one can check on cuttings without
worrying about damaging roots. Yet another advantage of a superior potting mix.

But enough talk! On with the pics, yes? ;-)

Here's the starting material. If I've mislabeled these, please let me know.
And if you're interested in the fine finger Jade 'Legolas,' talk to Gmaculata for details.

Contemplating the layout for the cuttings:

A close up shot of the motley mix:

Cuttings situated and ready to put down roots:

A couple weeks later, on a sunny window-sill:

And then the proof in the puddin' -
'Maruba Nishiki'

Lancaster variegated

'Legolas'

'Red Horn Tree' with lots of root activity!

Josh

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rina_

Josh

Love the collection (especially 'Legolas').

Great roots, and in such a short time - for some reason I thought that variegates are little more difficult to root...
Your mix looks great too (besides being well-draining; are you mixing it in more or less equal parts?) - plants look so much better in 'nice-looking' mix.

Hope to see follow-up photos as they grow bigger.
Nice planter too.

Rina

This post was edited by rina_ on Thu, Jan 3, 13 at 16:06

Bookmark   January 3, 2013 at 4:03PM
kaktuskris(5)

Great cuttings, and excellent work, Josh! Keep us updated on their progress.

Christopher

Bookmark   January 3, 2013 at 4:43PM
hijole(9 Sunny California)

Happy New Year Josh,

Nice looking Jades, I have many but none of the variegated type, It always seems like we have everything until someone posts their collection.

Well I see whats on my list for this year.

Greg

Bookmark   January 3, 2013 at 5:54PM
monet_g

Very nice job, Josh. The pictures add so much to your excitement - well done.

There's an old family nursery close by that has a boat load (okay, maybe, six - twelve) mature-ish common(?) var Jades. Guess I better to have another look.

If I remember correctly they could be "Lancaster". Are these easy to identify just by appearance?
Gail

Bookmark   January 3, 2013 at 7:11PM
TT, zone 5b MA

Love that 'Legolas', too....and nice, crunchy soil mix!

T

Bookmark   January 3, 2013 at 8:30PM
ctreeteac(Zone 8b; rain-spewing Oregon)

Gorgeous! Lucky duck. Love that variegation.

Bookmark   January 3, 2013 at 11:29PM
Irrelephant

New Years Resolution: Find Variegated Jades. Last years was variegated eureka lemon, and check.

Bookmark   January 4, 2013 at 12:02AM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

Great job Josh!! Rooting Jades is NO easy task for me( nearly impossible actually ) here in very humid FL...so my hat's off to you! Looking forward to updates for sure!

Bookmark   January 4, 2013 at 9:25AM
meyermike_1micha(5)

Josh! Extremely remarkable!

I knew you could do it pal! The key was to get them to you as plump and at their peek growth.
I am sure they will be in good hands buddy!

I love how the 'Legolas' held on to it's white color without shriveling up. Oh, they look so full and healthy.

Pretty soon I will be cutting some more before I put them out for the spring.

Thank you for sharing with us. I am so excited to see they all made it for a great guy!

You know what I love about these? That all with retain their coloring right through the winter. All the main plants are as birght and vivid as the day I brought them in. Talk about bright plants at a most dismal time of the year. And, they will grow fast for you!

Mike

This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Fri, Jan 4, 13 at 11:28

Bookmark   January 4, 2013 at 11:01AM
Laura Robichaud

Mike, maybe in the spring, I could trouble you for a couple of cuttings. I might drive up to see if you if possible.

--Your Stalker

Bookmark   January 4, 2013 at 11:12AM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Thanks, Rina!
I think these variegates have enough green to make rooting easy.
Attempting to root variegated leaves, particularly mostly white ones, is very difficult.
I stuck a few leaves, as well, and the 'Red Horn Tree' leaf shriveled up within a few days.

The mix was not measured, just eye-balled this time - I took some rain-soaked recycled mix
of Fir bark, perlite, and white pumice, and added some dry Scoria, Turface, and fresh bark until
I'd evened the moisture out and had a balance of large and small particles.

Christopher, thanks sir! I will surely update with the success or failure of this planting.

Happy New Year, Greg! It's good to see you :-)
Indeed, I've been lusting after the 'Red Horn Tree' and the 'Maruba Nishiki' for a couple years now,
but the specimen from Lancaster Gardens and the 'Legolas' I learned about within the last year or so.

Monet, if you can post a picture it would be great.
There are quite a few variegated Jades - beside the 'Tricolor' that is common -
and I find them difficult to distinguish sometimes. The Lancaster cutting may have a proper name
already, but I surely don't know it - so I'm simply calling it by the nursery whence it came.

Mister Tom Termine, thanks! I love a crunchy mix that snaps, crackles, pops, and smells
like volcanic dust when watered ;-) Glen's 'Legolas' is a beauty...I hope he's propagating more!

Colleen, I feel very, very lucky! I don't particularly fancy the typical variegated Jade,
but who can resist these uniquely variegated Jades?! ;-)

Irrelephant, get you some variegated Jades! :-D
When I saw the variegated Pink Eureka Lemon, I had to have one. Mike helped encourage me, too.

Hey, Nancy, thanks for stopping by! I think we ought to have an "underground root-road"
where folks in northern States root cuttings and then send them south to you ;-)

Mike, none of this would be possible without you, buddy.
The cuttings were plump, well-packaged, and great-sized for rooting. Thank you so much.
I didn't mist or water during the process, so they are somewhat dehydrated, but that's all
going to change now that the roots are biting into the mix and able to take up moisture again.
As always, it will be an exciting experiment to see how the colors hold up/intensify in my climate.

Laura, if you do go up to stalk Mike, a bottle of wine will loosen him up ;-)

Josh

Bookmark   January 4, 2013 at 11:46AM
Laura Robichaud

Thanks for the tip, Josh. He might find me hiding behind a bench in his greenhouse, perfectly still, holding an orchid in front of my face.

Bookmark   January 4, 2013 at 12:07PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Hahaha, if you can find room to hide in Mike's greenhouse, I'll be amazed! :-)
Be careful, though...if he doesn't notice you, you might get watered and fertilized.

Josh

Bookmark   January 4, 2013 at 1:36PM
chaparralgirl(Sonoran Desert (CA))

Josh,

Thanks for the detailed description of your process. I'll have to make use of it myself! :)

And lovely specimens - I love variegates on jades!

*CG*

Bookmark   January 4, 2013 at 1:49PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Thanks, CG, I'm glad you liked it! :-)

Josh

Bookmark   January 4, 2013 at 3:09PM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

Hey Josh...LOVE your great idea...might have to work on that :o)

Bookmark   January 4, 2013 at 4:44PM
bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI

Josh, in your close-up of your mix, I've circled some brown porous material. What is it? Since you live in CA, I am assuming you probably get your Pumice and Scoria, locally, yes? If not, do you have a source? Thanks

Howard

Bookmark   January 5, 2013 at 1:56PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Hey, Howard!
You are correct, I buy my materials at a local nursery in Auburn.
The circled material is Scoria, red lava rock. This is an E.B. Stone product
sold in small bags as "volcanic pumice," and comes in white, grey, and red/brown.
It should be available throughout the state. It's one of my favorite ingredients.

Josh

Bookmark   January 5, 2013 at 3:23PM
Laurent

Hi !
Beautiful plants.

Just one question about C.o.'Maruba Nishiki' : do you have a reliable source about the cross C. o. 'Obliqua' X C.o.'Hummel's Sunset' ?

Thank you very much.

Laurent

Bookmark   January 6, 2013 at 11:13AM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Laurent, thanks!
I do not have a reliable source on the cross information.
It is something that I read in association with this plant when first shown by Ben.
It is "thought to be" a cross between obliqua and 'Hummel's Sunset,' is what I read.
Whenever I receive more thorough information, I will update all my notes and images :-)

Thank you!

Josh

Bookmark   January 6, 2013 at 2:09PM
Laurent

Thank you very much Josh !

Laurent

Bookmark   January 6, 2013 at 3:51PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Wonderful weather we're having, and I thought I'd update on the small forest of cuttings. New growth and increased vibrance and color now that Spring is near. I have this container in some partial shade on the back deck.

Josh

Bookmark   February 17, 2013 at 4:51PM
kaktuskris(5)

Looks great, Josh! Good job. Just love the variegated Jades.

Here is a pic of a cutting of a cutting of Mike's Jade, in a south facing window.

Christopher

Bookmark   February 17, 2013 at 5:42PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Thanks, Christopher!

I'll snap a pic of two other variegates from Mike tomorrow. I also have mine in a south window, and they sure do get thirsty with the sun light and the warmth. Nice to see the return of the red margins. This season, I'm going to fertilize more heavily...everyone's cuttings or plants from Mike seem to be growing faster than mine!!! Time to change things up ;-)

Josh

Bookmark   February 17, 2013 at 7:27PM
woodnative(6)

I missed this post first time around so glad I was able to see it now. They look great!!! Good luck with all of them......you will have a full-size variegated forest in no time!

Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 1:19PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Hey, thanks, Woodnative! I can't wait to get them outdoors full-time :-)

Josh

Bookmark   February 20, 2013 at 11:21AM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

Very NICE Josh. You make rooting Jades seem so effortless,lol...wish it was that easy for me :o)

Great Job with them, thanks for the update!

Bookmark   February 20, 2013 at 5:22PM
123Greta(9b)

Great job, Josh! Looks beautiful.

Bookmark   February 21, 2013 at 3:31AM
meyermike_1micha(5)

Josh, how are they looking now with the sun in your area getting hotter and hotter while the temps are still cool?

You are doing a great job buddy!

Mike

Bookmark   March 3, 2013 at 3:13PM
kaktuskris(5)

So where are those pictures, Josh?

I just took this yesterday of the most common variegated Jade alongside a cutting of a cutting of Mike's Jade for comparison...

Christopher

Bookmark   March 3, 2013 at 7:33PM
emerald1951

Hi Josh...love your new jades...good growing....linda

Bookmark   March 3, 2013 at 10:13PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Hey, Nancy, Greta, Mike, Christopher, and Linda!
I'm sorry for my delay, and thanks for reminding me Chris to snap some more pics of the other variegates I have. I completely forgot! I have some time this afternoon to take pics, and I'll upload later tonight.

Josh

Bookmark   March 4, 2013 at 4:57PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Good morning!
Another progress pic, and this time I've included two other variegates from Mike - up top, middle and right, are cuttings from Mike's well-traveled mother plant. Top-left, a different variegate entirely, with more yellow and white leaves, as well as some grey-blue coloration. Now that I see the pic in the message, I realize I'll need to take some additional close-up pics.

Josh

Bookmark   March 5, 2013 at 10:36AM
sugi_c(9a)

Josh, these looks so fresh and gorgeous!
I have one variegated jade that I just potted into gritty mix and it's happily lounging on the southern balcony.

What is that tall one of the far right? I want it! :-)

Bookmark   March 5, 2013 at 1:01PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Hey, thank you :-)
The tall one on the right in the round pot is a cutting from Mike's un-named variegated mother Jade - if I recall, he got a piece from a dentist friend several years ago (eh, Mike?). This cutting had a cool curve in the trunk, and I've tried to grow it a bit more "bonsai."

I'd like to see a pic of your re-potted Jade.

Josh

Bookmark   March 5, 2013 at 5:54PM
kaktuskris(5)

A nice group shot of some very nice plants, Josh.

So how is the weather your way? Looks nice and green, from the photo. Here we might have another snowstorm heading this way tomorrow, so tired of it.

Christopher

Bookmark   March 5, 2013 at 7:31PM
sugi_c(9a)

Hi Josh!

Here's my only variegated Jade.

In hindsight, the pot's entirely too big but it's what I had. I can't make up my mind with this one, whether to put it outside or inside so it's traveled back and forth, haha.

Do you have all of yours outside?
It's hitting 70 these days and lows of 50s overnight, give or take 2 degrees....and I can't make up my mind which situation is more ideal for the thing. I used to have a regular crassula in the light shade by the front door for several years that did really well, but I was always curious about having one indoors.

Love how that one has a nice trunk when it's still small. I wonder if I can train mine to trunk by pulling off leaves, haha.

Bookmark   March 13, 2013 at 7:14PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Hi, Grace!
I think a lot of us are doing the plant shuffle this time of year ;-)
I've been taking plants out every day that I can, and bringing them in at night - today we hit 78F; yet tonight will drop to the upper 30F's. It's a lot of work, but also a great way for the plants to regain some of the vitality lost over the Winter. Be careful not to burn your plants with too much sun too soon, though.

I had a few out on the table yesterday...

Bookmark   March 13, 2013 at 9:47PM
wweidele(6)

Wowwwww nice beautiful "Legolas" lucky you. :) willing to share a leaf lol

G/l

Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 6:10PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Thanks ;-)
I think Glen (gmaculata) is propagating some 'Legolas'...at least I hope he is. I already failed to root a leaf - granted, it was an all-white leaf. I think this one will have a much higher strike rate if started from cutting. Full disclosure: there's a list as long as my arm of folks who've requested pieces of 'Legolas.'

Josh

Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 12:43PM
wweidele(6)

Yeah I can only imagine an all white leaf being impossible lol

And I sure that lost will grow such a beautiful specimen that I hope I can add to the collection one day any how great progress and g/l

Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 8:29PM
gmaculata(5)

My mother plant has been cut so many times she needs a rest. I have tried from leaf cuttings and have only gotten one out of about 60 leaves to have any variegated markings. The leaf will want to root out of the tissue that has the chlorophyll and therefor is not likely to pass the variegation to the offspring. It is not a super fast grower but it is not a wimpy plant and has survived my cool damp greenhouse with no problems. To those that I have shared the plant with all I ask is that you only pass along the cuttings that have the traits such as you got it from me. Thanks!

Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 9:07PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

You got it, Glen :-)

Any chance we could see a picture of the mother plant?

Josh

Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 10:40PM
beachplant(9b)

Pug, you are so right! They are an impossible plant in the humidity. And they do not seem too fond of a/c either. It's kind of funny that people in Canada have better luck with them.

Ya'll keep me amused you are so passionate about these little guys.
Tally HO!

Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 11:34AM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Pug sure grows them well, though. And they even bloom for her.

Glad you're amused, though.

Josh

Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 1:23PM
beachplant(9b)

I gave up on them years ago. There is one on the backporch that came in a dish garden and is struggling. I don`t think they are really fond of salt air either. I know a lot of people in the drier parts of Texas grow them.

I`m easily amused what can I say.
Tally HO!

Bookmark   March 31, 2013 at 10:46AM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

These grow a stone's throw from the ocean in Monterey, California. I remember, I was amazed to see large 'Hummel's Sunsets' growing in front yards.

Josh

Bookmark   March 31, 2013 at 12:25PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Happy Easter! Here's an update on the cuttings. The first of the Maruba Nishiki leaves is sending up a plantlet. We'll see if the traits hold.

Bookmark   March 31, 2013 at 2:37PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

And a full shot....

Bookmark   March 31, 2013 at 2:39PM
Laura Robichaud

Thanks for the update Josh. I wish I could get my hands on some of those varieties!

Nancy, what kind of jades do you have?

Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 10:46AM
Allan870

Love this thread! I fell in love with the Jade plant last Fall. I've used some of the tips I've read on some of y'alls Jade threads, and it has really helped! Great photos though. Really inspiring.

Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 12:54PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Thanks, Allan! I just saw your Jades, too, and they're lookin' compact and healthy.

Josh

Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 2:06PM
Allan870

It is because of tips I have seen you and others post in these threads!

Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 9:28PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

I'm beginning to see some color finally!

Josh

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 12:46AM
123Greta(9b)

I've said it before... so gorgeous, Josh! I admire your plants and your talent! :)

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 1:12AM
americangolden(ZONE 5B)

Very awesome greenman28! I hope to add some of those varieties to my collection some day. Keep up with the pictures they are looking great!

Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 9:41PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Greta and American, thank you both!
I will take some new pictures very soon.

Josh

Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 9:28AM
jessiec777(Washington State 5)

Your jades never disappoint Josh ;-) I love your collection

Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 6:50PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Thanks, Jessie, so kind!

We are entering that time of year, however, when the 'Hummel's Sunset' and other pale-leafed Jades get browned margins. I'll be moving them into some partial shade.

Josh

Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 7:05PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

'Red Horn Tree' update pic...

Josh

Bookmark   May 24, 2013 at 1:27PM
americangolden(ZONE 5B)

Looking good greenman!

Bookmark   May 24, 2013 at 2:25PM
Pat

greenman or anyone, do you use a special ceramic drill on those delicate-looking pots for drainage holes?
Pat

Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 4:00PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Hello.
All my pots came with drainage holes, so I'm lucky that I haven't had to do much drilling.

Josh

Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 6:12PM
meyermike_1micha(5)

Josh...Dang they are all looking so good!

Mine are just starting to get much larger now...It's been a strange growing season to say the least.

I'll be posting the mother plants very soon pal..Should I post them here? They do have something in common..lol

Mine are coloring up very well...It's been cool here at night for a month now, cooler than normal and hot sun by day!+
I just transplanted the Red Horn Tree and the Maruba Nishuki into larger pots since the roots out grew the smaller ones and dried out almost every day..

Have a great night buddy!

Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 7:13PM
whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio

Hello all! I just wanted to say those variegated jades look amazing!

Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 7:32PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Hey, guys!
It's hot and smoky here...wildfires burning throughout northern California. But we're surviving somehow ;-)

My variegates have really gotten sunblasted this Summer, and the birds pecked out two of the 'Maruba Nishiki' plantlets, along with some grit...so I'm bummed about those. Mike, I need to pot these into their own containers, too...I think they'll do much better.

Please post some pics, Mike, I would love to see the parent plants :-)

Josh

Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 8:48PM
woodnative(6)

Have they been fertiized Obviously good sun but they could have put out more growth over summer. However, that is only to speed growth. Thanks forcthe updated pic.

Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 9:55PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Very, very little fertilizer...hot roots, too.
Time to re-pot them and treat them to more nutrients.

Josh

Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 1:33AM
greentoe357

Josh, can we see the side shot or better yet several side shots of that big asymmetrical wavy pot? It looks interesting - almost as gorgeous as the Jades themselves.

Is it an actual planter or originally sold as something else? I am exploring using something funky like a fruit basket or a low/wide vase or a salad mixing bowl as a planter as long as I can drill a hole in whatever material it's made of.

Bookmark   August 31, 2013 at 11:06PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Good morning!
I'd be glad to get some pics....I'll go out directly.
Yes, this is an actual bonsai pot with feet and two nice drainage holes. Twice now I've used it to propagate Jades, but I think it's too shallow for full Summer sun. This season my plants have gotten cooked! :-)

I've seen some very cool pots created from various ceramic and clay objects, baskets, coffee cups, et cetera. As long as the paint/glaze/material isn't toxic, you're good to go.

Be back shortly...

Josh

Bookmark   September 2, 2013 at 10:59AM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Here's a first pic...it's raining again, so I'll have to snap some other pics when the sky clears.

1 Like    Bookmark   September 2, 2013 at 11:52AM
greentoe357

looks really nice!

Bookmark   September 7, 2013 at 4:56PM
wweidele(6)

Any updates? ?

Bookmark   November 21, 2013 at 11:50PM
rina_

Yeah, Josh...hope it stopped to rain - and before the snow! (but you lucky probably don't get any)...just joking.
It's a 'pick-me-up' to see such a nice plants!

Rina

Bookmark   November 22, 2013 at 12:58PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Thanks for the continued interest! I'm having trouble with my computer lately, but I will update as soon as I can. These Jades are indoors now, and looking good.

Josh

Bookmark   November 23, 2013 at 3:13PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Alright...an indoor update pic.
The plants are still growing, putting on size....and the Maruba Nishiki is even beginning to branch at the top! I couldn't be happier. The leaves that I propagated from the Lancaster variegated have turned out to be regular green Jades, so I will pull them at my first convenience.

Josh

Bookmark   November 23, 2013 at 5:43PM
wweidele(6)

Awsome thanks for the update lucky u g/l with them

Keep us posted

Bookmark   November 23, 2013 at 6:03PM
camellia1_gw

Oh, looking GREAT!

Bookmark   November 23, 2013 at 7:42PM
rina_

Very nice, Josh.
They are visibly bigger, great color and so healthy looking.
Thank you for brightening my day...(even if it's bright enough with some snow we had last night! And it got cold, around 12F, and forecasted only in low 20 for today...it looks like a long winter ahead).

Rina

Bookmark   November 24, 2013 at 9:35AM
emerald1951

Josh.....great looking jades where did you fine them...
there are never anything like that at any of the places I go...
good growing....enjoy and thanks for posting....linda

Bookmark   November 24, 2013 at 10:08AM
meyermike_1micha(5)

Quite the color fall foliage I see going on there and getting bigger too..Great work Josh..I knew they would be in safe hands !

Thanks for keeping updating us pal.

Mike:-)

Bookmark   November 24, 2013 at 2:26PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Hey, everyone! Thank you very much...I'm enjoying these Jades immensely. Now that I've been watering and fertilizing them a little more regularly, they are growing well.

Linda, I received these cuttings from Mike (thanks, Mike!).This way, if Mike ever loses a plant, he'll have a back up here in California :-)

Josh

Bookmark   November 24, 2013 at 3:11PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Good growth this Spring so far!
I'll try to get some good color without the leaves paling and turning brown at the edges. I've kept this pot in partial sun only and haven't left it out to the chilly and dewy nights.

Josh

Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 11:24PM
rina_

Josh

The forest is looking great! Very 'fresh' green, nice variegation, and they look really succulent.
So what's the plan to achieve what you describe - keeping them in partial sun?
Rina

Bookmark   April 9, 2014 at 7:43AM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Thanks, Rina.
Yes, partial sun until they're fully acclimated, and then protection from the hottest sun of the day after that. Also, I need to fertilize more regularly this season....last season, they really paled out.

Josh

Bookmark   April 9, 2014 at 11:17AM
camellia1_gw

Very nice!

It's exacting that Spring is beginning to show. I miss seeing everyone's jades' updates.

Bookmark   April 11, 2014 at 9:45AM
Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6

Josh,
I read somewhere that strong fertilizer and bright sun will reverse variegation and plant will become green again. So if possible, watch carefully to see what effects it has on your plants.
Stush

Bookmark   April 11, 2014 at 3:10PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Hello!
Stush, I'll keep a close eye on the plants. Typically, the sun bleaches out the plants, resulting in mostly yellowy leaves where the variegation is difficult to see. I have seen 'Hummel's Sunset' Jades with very little coloration on a high Nitrogen diet.

Josh

Bookmark   April 12, 2014 at 1:17PM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

Looking really good Josh...thanks for the update!

Did you have to drill holes on the cool pot or was it already pre-drilled? It ooks great in that pot/container :o)

Bookmark   April 12, 2014 at 4:22PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Thanks, Nancy! This bonsai pot came with holes, thankfully :-)

Josh

Bookmark   April 12, 2014 at 5:10PM
littlekirstenjr(8)

Hi Josh,

What a great little forest you've got going. I'm planning on whacking my variegated jade in a few days and am preparing to do so (working on putting together a good mix, finding pots for the cuttings, etc.). I just wanted to get this right: when you planted your cuttings, you waiting about a month to water them? Is that right? The cuttings will be pretty large--branch sized.

I'm just trying to make sure I don't kill my variegated gem ;)

Lil K jr

Bookmark   April 28, 2014 at 3:54PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Hello!
Yes, it was about that long before I actively watered. There was *some* moisture in the mix when assembled, so that added a buffer - but not so moist that rot would have been a concern. If you use a super porous and loose mix, you can dribble some water around (not on) the cuttings after a week or two...and you can gently remove the cuttings from the mix to check on rooting progress. Again, only if the mix is so loose that you won't damage the newly forming roots.

Josh

Bookmark   April 28, 2014 at 5:02PM
Grantgarden2 Zone 5a/b

Any updates?
Grant

Bookmark   October 1, 2014 at 4:27PM
sugi_c(9a)

I was trying to find this thread because I was curious how yours were doing, Josh! I couldn't find it - but Grant brought it back. :)

I had posted my cuttings back up there on March 13th of last year. My guys have grown a bit but I think I must've burnt them when they first came to my new house -- because I got these marks on the tips.

I've since put her where she is in the photo where she gets sun later than her original spot. The marks (burns?) haven't gotten any worse, it's adapting nicely and now I am glad I planted them in a pot that was a wee bit too big for them.

What were tiny little cuttings of your have grown HUGE. I love that marked one on the right of the photos with big yellow splotches. Very cool.

Grace

Bookmark   October 1, 2014 at 5:01PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Hello! Thanks for the bump! I just so happen to have taken a few pics in the last week...right after we had the first nice rains of the season. I really need to pot these each separately now, and as always I need to fertilize more.

Grace, I find that the variegates burn very easily. I've always had trouble keeping the white leaves pristine. Anyhow, here are couple pics I took.

Josh

Bookmark   October 2, 2014 at 12:15AM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

From the back side....

Bookmark   October 2, 2014 at 12:16AM
woodnative(6)

Every time I see these photos I covet 'Legolas'. What a unique beauty!!! I like the one in the back right and back middle too. What are the cultivar names of these two?? Looking good! Nice to compare and see growth and changes over time!

Bookmark   October 2, 2014 at 8:28AM
camellia1_gw

Oh, WOW! They all look GREAT! I love how the Maruba is keeping it's variegated colors.

I so miss everyone's jades' pics.

Sugi - Yours look fine. Mine got burned.

Not sure if you all remembered but I found a tri-color jade at a nursery last year. It seemed to be doing fine until of late. A few weeks, ago, the leaves were all burned. I guess the sun got brighter? It was in the same spot all season in full sun - about 5 hours in the day.

Bookmark   October 2, 2014 at 10:26AM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Woodnative, 'Legolas' is awesome...but such a slow grower, for me at least. The one in the middle-back is an unknown variegated Jade that was purchased from Lancaster garden / nursery - not sure exactly. The one on the right is Maruba Nishiki, a Japanese hybrid variegate.

Camellia, when the sun lowers again in the Fall, it strikes the plants at a different angle and can burn them very easily.

Josh

Bookmark   October 2, 2014 at 7:44PM
meyermike_1micha(5)

Hey Josh...I love the updates! Looking real nice..

I promise I will post the parents to those plants as soon as it's sunny..Sheesh, I am suppose to get warm sunny days and cool nights, not happening this year..It's been cloudy everyday and dark and dismal since last year. I think I live in the wrong area for colors like that. I can't wait to see if they flower too for you.

Good job pal..

MIke

Bookmark   October 4, 2014 at 5:38PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Thanks, Mike, sorry it took so long to get back....I lost track of this Thread. Still waitin' on you to take those update pics! I bet you're getting great color now that the season's changing. These variegates aren't flowering yet, but one of the cuttings from your variegated mother plant is flowering....along with a few others.

Josh

Bookmark   October 19, 2014 at 1:43PM
marguerite_gw

Is there a list anywhere of all the variegated jades, I wonder? I didn't know there were so many.
Greenman, I have so enjoyed this thread, thank you very much.

Bookmark   January 19, 2015 at 7:11AM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Thanks, Marguerite!
I don't know if there is a comprehensive list of Jade variegates. We might have to compile it ourselves!

Josh

Bookmark   January 19, 2015 at 12:34PM
oks2n2

Josh
if you know Russian, look please http://forum-flower.ru/showthread.php?p=433715&postcount=4
About species, varieties, forms of jades.
But description of one variegated Ovata with yellow stripes is absent.

Bookmark   January 21, 2015 at 2:31AM
greenclaws UKzone8a

Oksana, many thanks for the link to your Russian site. It came with a handy translation button on my laptop so I hope the others also get this function as my Russian is non existent...except to say Spasibo!! I'm off to have good read now and turn myself green with envy at all those lovely varieties :)

I've tried to link the English translation but it didn't work :(

Gill UK

Bookmark   January 21, 2015 at 7:42AM
oks2n2

Gill UK, thank you for compliments!
I'm the author of this article and I used some benst's pics.

Bookmark   January 21, 2015 at 9:04AM
rina_

Gill

I don't see translate button. Where is it?

While I can read some Russian, it is not quite enough - too bad I forgot most of it!

Rina

Bookmark   January 21, 2015 at 9:04AM
oks2n2

Rina
you can translate using Google translator.
It is necessary to enter the site address on the translation page.
Oksana.

Bookmark   January 21, 2015 at 9:51AM
rina_

Oks2n2

Thank you for the translation tip. I tried just the words/partial sentences I couldn't read, but that is too much pasting...Will attempt as you suggested. (I am slowly remembering whole azbuka!)
Rina

Bookmark   January 21, 2015 at 5:04PM
k8 (6a, NJ)

Rina, if you use a browser like chrome you can usually just right click anywhere on the page and choose "translate" from the drope-down menu

Bookmark   January 21, 2015 at 11:25PM
greenclaws UKzone8a

Hi guys, seems it actually popped up at the top of the page but within my browser bar, I didn't spot that fact as I was just so happy that it was there!! Hope you can get to read it.

Gill UK

Bookmark   January 22, 2015 at 7:19AM
marguerite_gw

I found this page with lots of data on jades and other crassulas:
http://members.tripod.com/~Hatch_L/cvcras.pdf

Roll down the page a good bit.

This post was edited by marguerite on Thu, Jan 22, 15 at 7:40

Bookmark   January 22, 2015 at 7:37AM
camellia1_gw

Very interesting Marguerite. I saw 'Gandalf' that someone had asked on another thread listed.

Bookmark   January 22, 2015 at 11:52AM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

I just went through the pdf....and without images to demonstrate all those listed plants, I have my doubts about the overall accuracy.

Josh

Bookmark   January 22, 2015 at 12:47PM
oks2n2

marguerite
my antivirus has wrote this site contains dangerous virus (

Bookmark   January 22, 2015 at 2:00PM
marguerite_gw

Really, Oks? Mine didn't signal anything at all.
I was looking for a plant named 'Hummel's Ghost', a new variegate, but I can find nothing on it at all anywhere.

Bookmark   January 22, 2015 at 2:21PM
bens2bens

hi,

@ marguerite: in my opinion "Hummels Ghost" is just another name for "Hummels Sunset Variegata" ... here you can see pictures ...
http://myfl.ru/blog/novichki-v-sukkulentnoi-kollektsii-ch2
http://cactusshop.co.uk/index.php?id_product=511&controller=product&id_lang=1

the pdf is an old list of 2006 ... also here lots of names are synonyms of the same cultivar. I agree with Josh, without a reference picture a cv name means nothing.

All the best,
Ben

Bookmark   January 23, 2015 at 4:11PM
marguerite_gw

Thank you, Ben. The plants on the two sites look different.
My Hummel Sunset has very oval leaves, on the other plants they look longer.

Bookmark   January 24, 2015 at 4:51PM
oks2n2

marguerite
This is the same plant in two sites.
Ovata cv. «Hummel's Sunset» f. variegata is easy to change the color of the leaves, depending on external conditions. Leaves increase in size if the soil contains more nitrogen.

Bookmark   January 25, 2015 at 12:51AM
kaktuskris(5)

That Russian website is very nice indeed. Seems to me there is more interest in Jade varieties outside of the United States than in it. Don't know why that is.

Christopher

Bookmark   January 25, 2015 at 12:14PM
marguerite_gw

Oksana, Ben, all, that plant in Oksana's two pictures is indeed the one I received this morning, a sturdy little plant, with all different types of stripy leaves. The label says 'Crassula ovata 'Hummel's Ghost.'. I wonder why 'Ghost'?
Thanks for all the input.

Bookmark   January 27, 2015 at 5:17PM
kaktuskris(5)

Marketing people always think of new names to get you to buy their products...

Christopher

Bookmark   January 27, 2015 at 5:28PM
DSum

They are great plants, Josh. I love to see them. I just wondered what kind of fertilizer do you use?

Diana

Bookmark   January 27, 2015 at 11:23PM
oks2n2

Christopher
Your «Hummel's Sunset» f. variegata is great plant! Under full sun?

Bookmark   January 27, 2015 at 11:50PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Diana, I usually sprinkle a bit of Osmocote in the mix, and then I use reduced strength Foliage Pro 9-3-6 for every plant I own.

Josh

Bookmark   January 28, 2015 at 7:31PM
kaktuskris(5)

Oksana:

Thank you for the kind words. I keep it in a south facing window. There is only a single pane of glass in the window, so I am sure the temperature can get rather cool.

Christopher

Bookmark   January 28, 2015 at 8:29PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Hey, Christopher, that variegate of yours is very full! Mine is still kind of scrawny and lanky....but I don't want to prune it yet.

Josh

Bookmark   January 31, 2015 at 12:39PM
kaktuskris(5)

Thanks, Josh.

It originally came from California, further south. Now it has adapted to my sunny south facing window here in Massachusetts, though winter here is not that sunny...

Christopher

Bookmark   January 31, 2015 at 10:19PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

:-) That's cool because mine originally came from Massachusetts! hehehe

Josh

Bookmark   February 1, 2015 at 1:50PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Update....planting is now right around two years old.

Josh

Bookmark   February 4, 2015 at 8:18PM
camellia1_gw

They all look FANTASTIC!! Nice growth! Doesn't seem like that much time has passed.

Bookmark   February 4, 2015 at 10:08PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Thanks, Camellia! I know, time goes by in the blink of an eye :-)

Each of these specimens is ready for an individual pot, and I am eager to get them alone. Once re-potted, I think the growth rate will increase. I really want the 'Legolas' to put on some growth, as it's starting to be hidden by the larger variegate in the middle/top.

Josh

Bookmark   February 4, 2015 at 10:23PM
ehuns27 7a PA

Josh,

I found this thread when I searched on here for Maruba nishiki. How is yours doing? I just got one from Glen along with a couple others. From what I read these are affected more by light than the others. What would you recommend as far as lighting? It's the first day of Spring here and it's snowing about 5 inches... So I am not quite ready to have it outside when it comes but should be able to make the change shortly.

-Erica

1 Like    Bookmark   March 20, 2015 at 9:29AM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Hey, Erica!

Yes, the Maruba Nishiki is affected by light, and will produce brilliant yellow leaves with ample sun. I like a few hours of direct sun for mine, followed by filtered sunlight for the hottest part of the day. Now that I'm bringing mine outdoors occasionally, I put it under the shade of one of my citrus trees to prevent the other variegates in the pot from burning.

Josh

Bookmark   March 20, 2015 at 1:01PM
plantcollector75

my variegated jade plant and a unknown plant that came with it when I got it at a local nursery.

Bookmark   March 20, 2015 at 9:44PM
ehuns27 7a PA

Thanks Josh. I'll probably keep it on the south side of my porch a little further back.

These are rare enough that I am almost nervous about it! I only just started collecting various jades and have so much to learn about them!

-Erica

1 Like    Bookmark   March 21, 2015 at 5:03AM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

The time has finally come to pot these Jades separately, and then hopefully root some other Jades in the not so distant future. Yesterday, I drilled a drainage hole in a pot that one of my former students gave to me. Once I wrangle up three other pots, I'll begin the process.

Josh

Bookmark   March 21, 2015 at 11:15AM
plantcollector75

Josh

my jade plant has another plant in it that I think maybe might be something similar to jade. do you know what it is?

Isaac

Bookmark   March 21, 2015 at 11:33AM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

I don't know what it is. It's not a Jade...looks like a fleshy Echeveria or one of the many hybrids, Graptoveria, et cetera.

There is a "Name That Plant" Forum for plant identification at GardenWeb, and the participants are very good at ID.

Josh

Bookmark   March 21, 2015 at 12:08PM
Laurent

Isaac, it looks very much like Graptopetalum paraguayense.

Bookmark   March 21, 2015 at 12:35PM
plantcollector75

Thanks for the help :D

Bookmark   March 21, 2015 at 12:37PM
plantcollector75

I think the plant at the top is alligator kalanchoe of mother of thousands

Bookmark   March 21, 2015 at 12:38PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Please start a new Thread for those pictures :-) You'll get better responses for identification.
This Thread is about variegated Jade plants.

Josh

Bookmark   March 21, 2015 at 12:50PM
plantcollector75

OK :D

Bookmark   March 21, 2015 at 12:53PM
plantcollector75

Is this tri color jade not to certain

1 Like    Bookmark   March 21, 2015 at 1:00PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Yes, that's exactly what it is.

Josh

Bookmark   March 21, 2015 at 2:00PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Today was the day of the separation. The forest is no more....now they are all solo :-)

1 Like    Bookmark   March 21, 2015 at 2:33PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Maruba Nishiki in a pot that a former student made for me:

1 Like    Bookmark   March 21, 2015 at 2:35PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

'Red Horn Tree' - sorry, not such a good pic.

1 Like    Bookmark   March 21, 2015 at 2:36PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Variegated Jade from Lancaster Gardens. This Jade is very vigorous, so I put it in a larger pot to help it put on size.

1 Like    Bookmark   March 21, 2015 at 2:40PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

And of course 'Legolas' in a small bonsai pot.

3 Likes    Bookmark   March 21, 2015 at 2:42PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Then I grouped them in a shady area to rest for the afternoon :-)

Thus concludes the variegated Jade Forest....until next time.

2 Likes    Bookmark   March 21, 2015 at 2:43PM
Laurent

All beautiful ;) ...and they look very healthy, congratulations ! Legolas is stunning.

1 Like    Bookmark   March 21, 2015 at 2:54PM
marguerite_gw

How beautiful they all look ! Great work, it will be interesting to see if they speed up growth now.

1 Like    Bookmark   March 21, 2015 at 2:59PM
plantcollector75

Nice jades ,they look wonderful in the new pots

2 Likes    Bookmark   March 21, 2015 at 3:41PM
camellia1_gw

Yes! I concur! They all look beautiful and 'Legolas' looks fantastic. I see a lot of green on that one branch so hopefully, it will grow faster for you.

Bookmark   March 21, 2015 at 3:54PM
ehuns27 7a PA

They all look great! They have really gotten some nice woody trunks on them. I love the canopy growth on the Lancaster Gardens jade.

1 Like    Bookmark   March 21, 2015 at 3:55PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Thanks, all! I think they'll be much healthier now, and they'll grow faster. The roots were all matted together and very dry. With that many Jades in a single container, they were sucking a lot of moisture out of the soil.

The Lancaster variegate developed that canopy without any pinching or shaping....other than turning the container periodically.

I will begin fertilizing in a week or two.

Josh

Bookmark   March 21, 2015 at 4:16PM
plantcollector75

Thanks for the update josh ,nice to see how the jades are doing :)

1 Like    Bookmark   March 21, 2015 at 4:23PM
deva33 Z5 SE Iowa

This makes me think it may be time for mine to have their own pots!

This is 5 different plants. 4 regular and one variegated. They are getting a bit crowded and I think I want to get them in gritty mix.

1 Like    Bookmark   March 22, 2015 at 3:38PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

They do look crowded, but they look good!

Josh

Bookmark   March 23, 2015 at 7:29AM
deva33 Z5 SE Iowa

Thanks Josh. They are getting crowded. I'm going to send one bare root to a friend in Cali along with some other cuttings. Then the rest are getting their own homes. :-)

1 Like    Bookmark   last Tuesday at 7:33PM
plantcollector75

put my tri color jade into a new pot yesterday.

The old and the new pot comparison

The tri color jade in it's new spot

Bookmark   last Saturday at 11:11AM
mikerno_1micha(Zone 6a, Massachusetts)

Oh Josh. I think you did a fantastic job. They will grow so nice now that you gave them such plenty of room. Fertilize fertilize. I noticed that color is coming on. By the way. I want you to know that the 'Legolas' never has to be trimmed to be full and short. It grows a great canopy without cutting anything back. The Maruba also never needs cutting back. You'll see. Except for the fact I shared a couple of cuttings. It has never been punched back.

I know you would do such a great job with yours and if I should ever lose any of mine, I have nothing to fear. Thanks for sharing pal.

1 Like    Bookmark   last Saturday at 2:52PM
marguerite_gw

plantcollector75, I wasn't sure your plant was a tricolor jade but now I see it is. It's a lovely plant, I hope you'll post another pic later on.

1 Like    Bookmark   last Saturday at 3:28PM
plantcollector75

I think this is a regular jade plant or maybe it might be a kalanchoe

More tri color jade pictures

Bookmark   last Saturday at 4:33PM
marguerite_gw

That does look like a jade leaf, plantcollector. Are you ever tempted to top your tricolor?

Bookmark   on Sunday at 4:25AM
rina_

plantcollector

I agree with Marguerite that it is jade leaf, with a nice growth. There is a plant to the very left in first photo that looks like kalanchoe (net very clear in the photo). The leaves of jade are overall smaller & 'chubbier' (thicker) than kalanchoe.

Just wondering about your re-pot; did you feel it needed bigger pot?

Bookmark   on Sunday at 5:27AM
plantcollector75

Rina

The plant left of the jade is a red double flower kalanchoe. (Picture here is a cutting I took of the plant yesterday).

I sadly totally forgot about the regular jade plant till now my garden. Yes the tri color did need a new pot when I got it ,roots where starting to come out the bottom , (I forgot to take a picture of the roots sadly ).

plantcollector75

Bookmark   on Sunday at 6:54AM
plantcollector75

Marguerite

yes sometimes I am tempted to top the plant and get other variegated jade or other different varieties :)

plantcollector75

Bookmark   on Sunday at 6:59AM
More Discussions
Waves and Ripples: A Study in Contrast
My Waves and Ripple Jades side by side... Christopher...
kaktuskris
How long do Epiphyllum cuttings last for?
Hi everyone before I got bogged down with school I...
snowboardinggirl
do all cacti need a cold season to bloom?
the dormant period at the end of the year... do any...
kyrri
Any experience with black spots in jade when pruning?
Anyone seen this? Fresh cut... Some said on another...
deva33 Z5 SE Iowa
April blooms!
Aloe blue elf and euphorbia milii?Mammilaria eglans...
spikef35
Sponsored Products
Leaf Sconce w/Scroll Mounting by Bacchus Glass
$585.00 | Lumens
Angela Outdoor Coffee Table
Grandin Road
Jade Three-Light Chrome Convertible Drum Pendant with White Linen Shade
$234.00 | Bellacor
Round End Grain Butcher Block - 1315
$53.99 | Hayneedle
Forest Cocoa 28 to 48-Inch Curtain Rod
$28.95 | Bellacor