Do they look healthy

zeke11854April 2, 2014

I purchased some air plants online and they were lost in the mail for over a week. Some of them don't look so healthy to me. Can you tell by the photos if they look like they're dying?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gonzer_gw

That plant is a goner.

Bookmark   April 3, 2014 at 7:24AM
splinter1804

Zeke - If those plants were healthy (and dry) when they were packed and if they were packed properly, they should have been able to last well over a week in the post.

I had an order that was lost in the mail for 21 days and was a mixture of Neo's, Vrieseas, Guzmanias and an Aechmea (I don't know about Tillandsias, maybe they don't travel as well). They did look a bit dehydrated on arrival but I soaked them in a mix of 1 cup of sugar to a bucket of water for a few hours and they perked up and looked fine the next day.

Problems arise when plants are packed when wet and left standing in excessively hot or cold areas during stop overs in transit. Also I'm told the cargo holds of some planes if not pressurised get to below freezing at high altitude and the best safeguard against this is to have your plants packed in a polystyrene box as that provides far superior insulation than just cardboard.

I did receive an order once that had been packed while still a bit wet from watering and the leaves had what seemed like scald marks on them. I contacted the seller who confirmed they hadn't been dry and replaced them.

All the best, Nev.

Bookmark   April 11, 2014 at 7:20PM
splinter1804

Hi everyone - Here's a few pic's of some of my brom's after a storm when everything looked so nice and fresh.

All the best, Nev.

Bookmark   May 30, 2014 at 6:00PM
love_the_yard(z9A Jax FL)

Nev, I always drool over your pictures. Gorgeous!

Carol in Jacksonville

Bookmark   May 30, 2014 at 11:03PM
splinter1804

Zeke - Sorry about hijacking your post, I don't know what happened there as those pic's should have been on a new post; I'm never gonna get the hang of this!

All the best, Nev.

Bookmark   June 2, 2014 at 5:30PM
More Discussions
?? Achemea tessmannii
I got this as no ID.. It is blooming and looks similar...
radhavall
Hey Nev!
What's going on with the other forum????
gonzer_gw
ID Please
Another one I lost the tag to,can you please help me...
gardencraze
Bert in a basket
I have an Ae Bert that I would like to plant in an...
dogboy27
Buying broms
Where is the best place to buy bromeliads online? Would...
josephene_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™