Anything I need to know about transplanting Crinum lilies?

sada(8)November 2, 2007

I have a 4 foot square area PACKED with crinums off a walkway. I would like to move them further back in the yard as where they are now crowds the porch & provides too much cover for garden reptiles to startle me when pushing by. They currently get alot of sun - from 10am to 5pm in summer. Where I want to put them would have full sun for part of the day & filtered sun in the afternoon. They currently get runoof from an outdoor shower when we use it & the other location doesn't have that source of water but also isn't so incredibly bright/hot. Any advice or recs? They are lovely & I don't want to lose them - I just don't like the snakes beneath them abutting a commonly used path (copperheads, cornsnakes & garters). Any recs for how/when to transplant would be greatly appreciaated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
feighner

Spring or fall are the best times to transplant them, as it is getting late into fall I would transplant them as early in the spring as the soil will allow you to work.

Bookmark   November 2, 2007 at 7:09PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sada(8)

Thanks - I plan to prepare bed for them this weekend - if it turns cold I can wait until spring but I think we'll be in the 60s-70s for a while yet. These lilies are truly lovely in summer with their pink nodding flowers - 4feet high! The leaves are a good 2 1/2 feet high & I was kind of waiting for things to cool down abit before plunging my hands in to check out their bulbs. I know the bed has been undisturbed since we bought the place in 2001 - but don't know how long in place before that - other than not before 1997 (prev owner gave us pics of house when they bought it). I would love to get more of these - they have lovely brilliant green foliage that tolerates blazing beach sun so well & really makes things feel tropical. We have had freezes to 0 degrees F here & they're come right back in the spring - though the semi-evergreen strappy leaves melted back to the bases rising up from the ground (kind of bad salad greens yuckky). Remarkable plants, just overwhelming the walkway.

Bookmark   November 2, 2007 at 7:28PM
More Discussions
test
just trying to figure out if i am signed in
snowdogmama
Basil Plate Propagation
Hi, My friend- Nongnuch Nakmanoch did basil plate propagation...
Nititii P.
FTB (for me) charisma
I really like this one. two nice blooms, w 2 more incoming opened...
bragu_DSM 5
Ordering bulbs in Canada
Does anyone know some good companies to order bulbs...
erin_juniper
May Wonder
This is another Komoriya bulb that flowers for me every...
jstropic
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™