Aristolochia Elegans Seeds for SASE

mechelle_m(z9 TX)March 24, 2014

I have harvested a ton of seed pods (at least 45 pods!) for the elegans pipe vine. This vine hosts the gold rim swallowtail (polydamas swallowtail). Send me an email and I will contact you with info on getting a SASE to me for a packet of seeds.

Mechelle

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alch21

I would love to get some! thanks

Anne

Bookmark   April 6, 2014 at 2:28PM
mechelle_m(z9 TX)

Anne,

I was unable to respond to your email, your address is blocked. Please send me an email so I can send you the information to send me an SASE,

Mechelle

Bookmark   April 7, 2014 at 9:30PM
alch21

not sure why my address is blocked
my email address is
hibouxsc@gmail.com
thanks

Bookmark   April 12, 2014 at 4:02PM
mary_littlerockar(8a-7b mid Arkansas)

Mechelle,

What is the growing zone for this pipevine? My thanks.

Mary

Bookmark   April 15, 2014 at 7:55AM
topsiebeezelbub(z7 Al)

Is there any special treatment for growing arisolochia seeds? I would like to try fimbriata, since it is hardy in my zone, but I need to know what the procedure is for sprouting them...don't want to waste them. I know of a place to buy them, but want to be sure I treat them properly. Thanks to anyone who can help.

Bookmark   April 15, 2014 at 2:47PM
bandjzmom(7 NWGeorgia)

So nice of you to offer. Can't grow it here in zone 7 though.

Topsiebeezelbub....I am in zone 7 and I have tried growing fimbriata here without a whole lot of luck. It germinates in pots easy enough, but it has been really slow to establish in the ground. Last year, I grew some Aristolochia tomentosa in a pot and transplanted to yard. We will see if it comes back. I have seed for fimbriata if you want some. Some people have told me that they had better luck just straight sowing it into the ground. Additionally, I have some Virginia Snakeroot in my yard, but it has been a pitifully slow grower too. I believe that the Pipevine cats are really voracious and so they will need a lot of food. I hope to raise some one day and find out. :)

Bookmark   April 15, 2014 at 6:31PM
mechelle_m(z9 TX)

The growing zone for elegans is 8 to 10 according to floridata.com

The pipevine swallowtail does eat a lot, but in my experience, the monarch eats way more.

Bookmark   April 15, 2014 at 11:06PM
mary_littlerockar(8a-7b mid Arkansas)

Regarding the fimbriata; I grow it in 8a-7b and even with our terrible winter this year, I'm seeing the first new growth of this season. I was afraid the little vines might not come back but at least one is still alive. The bed where I grow them is a raised bed on the northeast side of the house where ground was frozen solid for long periods of time this winter. They have a light covering of pine bark mulch. These little 3 year old vines are hardier than I would have expected.

Mary

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 8:03AM
More Discussions
Florida Butterflies.
I have posted before. I live in Sarasota, Florida and...
jane__ny
Zebra Longwing Butterfly.
This is a photo, of a beautiful, Zebra Longwing Butterfly,...
woollybear69
Anyone have advice on wood pupators?
Was out gathering food for my cecropias the other day...
KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH
Camera settings for butterflies...part III
The quality of your photographs relies on proper settings...
bob_71
Low desert pipevines
Has anyone had any success growing butterfly host pipevines...
joncongaroo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™