freeze damage...night blooming cereus

jwnix(8b/la)January 28, 2010

sadly, covering my huge plants was not sufficient and the long fronds froze. having never dealt with plant that froze, am trying to decide whether to shock them and prune now, or leave all the damaged material on them and see what happens in the spring. i had 55 blooms between the two plants one september evening so want to protect them of course. I'm looking for info where someone else encountered this problem....

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

I cut my freeze damage off so it encourages branching as soon as possible. They grow back amazingly quickly. I had 50 blossoms on one plant. Covering these large epies is a chore. Finding space for them inside in a large wood shop was all I could do in the last snap.. It still got down to 28 in the shop. I covered mine with a painter's tarp and then would boil some water to fill the inside with warm steamy air. I potted mine into a SMALLER pot because I heard they like crowded toes. It was so hard to roll that huge pot around. I wanted it in a pot that I could lift and put up high on top of a metal storage cabinet in the wintertime. It limits the growth a bit but the blooms keep coming.I have found that fewer branches have gotten broken this way. We have another freeze coming, but nothing like the last one.

Bookmark   January 28, 2010 at 9:48PM
beachplant(9b)

I've got several dead ones. Cut back the ones that did survive.
Tally HO!

Bookmark   January 30, 2010 at 9:47AM
jwnix(8b/la)

I steeled myself and cut cereus back yesterday and covered them.....as was to be shorter freeze last night and tonight...... will see if they recover from the insults and shocks to their systems.

Bookmark   January 31, 2010 at 10:59AM
gardenbear1(6 Ma.)

jwnix, I wouldn't worry your self to much on it recovering from being cut back because frost, these plants can take a lot of abuse and still come back and bloom like crazy,I had one of mine out last year a bit early and the frost got most of it and after I cut it back it grew bigger and better with about 18 blooms.

Bear

Bookmark   January 31, 2010 at 1:53PM
J9marie_sbcglobal_net

I've cut my two night bloomers down to the quick, each looking quite dead. yet if I dig my finger into the root system, it seems alive. Still, it's been in the 70's to 80s for a few weeks now, and no sign of growth. Should I give up?

Bookmark   April 16, 2011 at 2:21PM
More Discussions
When do I start watering after re-potting?
I will be re-potting my plants into the gritty mix...
blaquepua
leaf/plant id
Does anyone know what this is? Picked it up of the...
amynoacids
Sempseed or the will to live
This is an old flowering head (is there a word for...
hablu
Euphorbia milii green flowers?
I bought a Euphorbia milii or COT about a year and...
tasmith16
Jades Surviving, but not Thriving
Hello! New here, but I've been lurking for the last...
andelice
Sponsored Products
Slamp | Flora Triple Suspension Light
$915.00 | YLighting
Victorian Styling 31 Inch Table Lamp With Night Light
$181.95 | Bellacor
A Midsummers Nights Dream Two-Light Wall Sconce in Cool Moonlit Patina Finish
Bellacor
Black of Night Black and White Flower Shade Ovo Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
O-Link Rug 8'3" x 11'6" - BLACK
$779.00 | Horchow