Michelia figo?

tom123_gwApril 23, 2014

This little tree has been discussed in the Florida Garden Forum and they recommend it for its sweet-smelling flowers.

Does anyone here have experience with this shrub/tree? Does it attract butterflies?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)

I've never planted it myself, but my parents had one in their yard. I don't ever remember seeing a butterfly or hummingbird visit the flowers, and the flowers don't have the kind of structure that either normally use. The flowers are sort of like little magnolias with the petals turned upward.

My Daddy used to put the flowers in his pocket so he could smell them everywhere he went - the fragrance is very strong.

Sherry

Bookmark   April 23, 2014 at 11:09AM
Leafhead

Possible host plant for Swallowtails, though there are other members of the Magnolia family that are better suited as host plants.

John

Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 12:03PM
gyr_falcon(Sunset 23 USDA 9)

I grow the related Michelia crassipes. I have never seen butterflies show any interest in the plant. It has very nicely scented flowers, though. I live in CA, so FL butterflies may differ.

Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 5:36PM
Leafhead

The chance that a Swallowtail would use Michelia is an outside one, but I know that Tigers go for Tulip Trees (Liriodendron) as a host plant in Central to North Florida and up the East Coast. They prefer Black Cherry leaves here in the Midwest.

John

Bookmark   April 25, 2014 at 2:04PM
Leafhead

Sweet Bay Magnolia (Magnolia virginica) is another host plant for Eastern Swallowtails.

Bookmark   April 28, 2014 at 1:32PM
tom123_gw

I have both the Sweet Bay Magnolia and the Wild Black Cherry tree. The Sweet Bays are supposed to be good for Tigers. I have seen them on my tree. The Wild Black Cherry is supposed to be a host for something like four different butterflies and some moths.

I mostly get the eastern black swallowtails on my fennel.

Saw my first Monarch in about three weeks today. Hooray!

Bookmark   April 28, 2014 at 7:23PM
More Discussions
Sleeving
In another thread ladobe wrote: >Sleeving in the...
drzoidberg
Urgent!
I am worried about my Cecropia cocoon because I went...
Jacob BergZone4b-5aMN
Low desert pipevines
Has anyone had any success growing butterfly host pipevines...
joncongaroo
Help for monarchs?
US Fish and Wildlife is spending some money to save...
socalgal_gw Zone USDA 10b Sunset 24
Lemon Mint Monarda - Annual, Perennial? Reseeds?
I feel like this question could be posted in 5 different...
Michaela .:. thegarden@902 .:. (Zone 5b - Iowa)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™