How do you euthanize?

shannon74April 17, 2014

I hate, hate, hate it. But I have had a couple GSTs eclose this month with messed up wings. Breaks my heart to see them struggling to fly. Anyway, I usually put them in a plastic bag in the fridge to slow their senses and then into the freezer later. I remember reading someone say the kindest way is to cover and stomp, but I cannot bring myself to do that. My husband asked why I don't just put them on a tree and let nature take its course. But I cannot stand the thought of something I have lovingly cared for 8 months get torn apart by birds. :-( What do you do?

Shannon

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH

Freezer for a few days.

In the old days, we would put them out on flowers during the day and bring them in at night.

Bookmark   April 17, 2014 at 1:32PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
runmede(7a Virginia)

Frig to sleep and then freezer, but only in severe cases. Sometimes it takes a few day to evaluate whether they can fly.

Try lightly misting chrysalis with water once a week. This may help to prevent damaged wings. The chrysalis tend to try out during the winter.

Here is a link that might be useful: Post Hibernation Strategies

Bookmark   April 17, 2014 at 3:58PM
More Discussions
Host Plants by Butterfly species
Well, everything is new here. Will post this to see...
mary_littlerockar
Forum changes due to Houzz
I'm never happy when somebody buys up a website I use...
KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH
Snow and ice,come on spring !
Snow and ice on the ground here in arkansas today,has...
arkpollinator
Commercial grown Milkweed
http://texasbutterflyranch.com/2015/02/27/mega-grower-color-spot-nursery-to-consider-growing-clean-chemical-free-milkweed/...
arkpollinator
Is everyone ready for upcoming SPRING????
I am in Florida. I already made a flower bed inside...
angelimperfect36
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™