What do I feed a viceroy cat?

mocknbird(MoCo, MD (6B))April 28, 2013

I just pulled a viceroy cat off my young (and barely surviving) apple tree.

I don't want to return him to my appletree. What else can I feed it? I have mostly suburban, eastern trees to choose from, redbud, tulip poplar, Bradford pear, tosh into cherries...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mocknbird(MoCo, MD (6B))

Yoshino cherries. (Thanks autocorrect.)

Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 9:54AM
butterflymomok(7a NE OK)

Hmmm, I'm wondering if your caterpillar is a Red-Spotted Purple. Viceroys feed on a variety of willows. Red-spotted purples can be found on different trees, including, poplars, crab-apples, purple plums, wild cherries, etc. The two caterpillars are hard to differentiate. I would try the cherry, or just continue to provide a few leaves from the apple tree and raise the caterpillar in a container. Check out the FAQs on this forum for more information. One caterpillar shouldn't devastate your tree.

Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 11:03AM
misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)

Ditto to the above - the cherry tree leaves will be okay, and, like Sandy, I'm pretty sure it's a red-spotted purple. Viceroys never use anything but willows around here.

Congrats on your caterpillar! They make beautiful butterflies - I found an egg on a wild black cherry tree the other day, so I'll be raising at least one very soon.

Sherry

Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 1:22PM
Leafhead

Saw my first butterfly here in Madison, WI. I believe it was a Morning Cloak, but it was flying too fast for a positive ID.

Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 6:47PM
KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH

It is not in her book (The Life Cycles of Butterflies) but last week Judy wrote me that she is raising viceroys on wild black cherry. Another + for Prunus serotina.

Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 11:32PM
misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)

It's listed as a host for viceroys in some books, but I've never heard of anybody who actually found a viceroy on it, KC. It's good to hear that Judy's using it successfully, though.

Sherry

Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 9:32AM
More Discussions
Commercial grown Milkweed
http://texasbutterflyranch.com/2015/02/27/mega-grower-color-spot-nursery-to-consider-growing-clean-chemical-free-milkweed/...
arkpollinator
Lemon Mint Monarda - Annual, Perennial? Reseeds?
I feel like this question could be posted in 5 different...
Michaela .:. thegarden@902 .:. (Zone 5b - Iowa)
Sleeving
In another thread ladobe wrote: >Sleeving in the...
drzoidberg
Looking for a source of beautiful, realistic fake butterflies
I am helping a friend decorate her baby nursery. I...
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
Cuttings!
I am moving house and have a lot of butterfly/HB plants...
kiffin87
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™