New eggs on tomato plant

mschaetz(7)April 20, 2011

about a day ago these appeared on my tomato plant. I think they could be a hornworm. I have isolated them and would like to attempt to raise them all the way through and release the moths.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)

I've never seen hornworm eggs laid in a group like that. Are these eggs pyramid shaped? I found several pyramid shaped eggs on a redbay recently, and, in the past, I was told that they were an undesirable bug. Hornworm eggs always look to me like they're barely attached. Here's a picture I made of a tobacco hornworm egg on a tomato leaf several years ago -

Sherry

Bookmark   April 20, 2011 at 10:44AM
mschaetz(7)

They are completely egg shaped. Here are some more photos I just now took. You can see something developing, but I have no idea what. I hope it isn't a stink bug. I so badly want it to be a hornworm.

Bookmark   April 20, 2011 at 12:33PM
mschaetz(7)

here is a photo taken farther away to give a better idea of their size.

Bookmark   April 20, 2011 at 12:50PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Hmmmm, they don't look familiar to me. Definitely NOT a tobacco or tomato hornworm. Be sure to let us know what they turn out to be....take some more good pictures!

Bookmark   April 20, 2011 at 3:28PM
mschaetz(7)

After hours googling.... I have come to the conclusion these are sadly leaf footed bug eggs.....

Bookmark   April 20, 2011 at 3:54PM
bandjzmom(7 NWGeorgia)

Awwwwwwwwww......toooo bad. Your pictures are awesome BTW. Maybe you will still get your Hornworm eggs!

Bookmark   April 21, 2011 at 9:14AM
mschaetz(7)

Thanks! I love to take pictures, but sure do wish they were hornworms! I am just starting to plant the right stuff to attract butterflies. Hopefully by next year I'll have something to really take pics of. :D

Bookmark   April 21, 2011 at 9:57AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

If you have tomato plants, you'll probably end up with some hornworms! Be patient, grasshopper. ;-)

Bookmark   April 21, 2011 at 12:52PM
catherinet(5 IN)

That's true rhizo! Almost everyone with tomatoes seems to get them. Lots of people would love to give you theirs mschaetz! I like them though.....and what they turn into. I don't mind sharing some of my tomato leaves for them. :)
And I agree........great pics!

Bookmark   April 21, 2011 at 3:49PM
susanlynne48(OKC7a)

I usually transfer the caterpillars to my Datura which they will eat as well. These guys can make short shrift of a tomato plant. Have any of you watched a late instar cat consume a leaf? In record time, I tell you! You can even hear them munching away.

I love em and want to keep em because they are such good pollinators.

Susan

Bookmark   April 22, 2011 at 9:27AM
mschaetz(7)

I keep looking at my tomato plant every morning and evening.... anxiously waiting.... :D I am still adding host plants for them to lay eggs on (not just for hornworms). Thanks so much for your encouragement.

Bookmark   April 22, 2011 at 10:46PM
More Discussions
Protecting cats outside
I'm not really into bringing the cats inside, so I'm...
catherinet
Anyone have advice on wood pupators?
Was out gathering food for my cecropias the other day...
KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH
Any one ready for spring?
I'm so done with winter! I'm ready for spring . This...
Jacob BergZone4b-5aMN
Looking for a source of beautiful, realistic fake butterflies
I am helping a friend decorate her baby nursery. I...
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
Camera settings for butterflies...part III
The quality of your photographs relies on proper settings...
bob_71
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™