natural hybid Tillandsia from seed in bloom

gonzer_gwMay 3, 2009

My small, seed grown, 6 year old aeranthos bloomed but with bloom color characteristics of a nearby T. bergeri. I had not noticed the bloom originally but now, side by side, it's pretty evident that it's a cross. Bergeri on the left, aeranthos right, mine on bottom. Whattya think?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sdandy

By left do you mean right, and right mean left? He he. Surely looks to be a cross. Even the leaf color/size/shape look to be an intermediate. Or is that an illusion? Congratulations on having one bloom from seed! And it being a hybrid too.
-andy

Bookmark   May 3, 2009 at 9:03PM
gonzer_gw

I did indeed get my lefts and rights crossed up sdandy. Aeranthos on our left and bergeri on our right.

Bookmark   May 4, 2009 at 7:42AM
neomea

Nice Gonz!!!

Bookmark   May 4, 2009 at 9:19AM
sdandy

Oh, and I really like the hybrid's color of petals, for some reason the bergeri is a bit too pastel for my personal taste (but not saying that I don't enjoy when they bloom!). Congratulations again on getting a seed to bloom. How many others have you successfully grown to maturity from seed?

Bookmark   May 4, 2009 at 12:26PM
kerry_t_australia(9)

Hey Gonz and all,
I imagine that would be mighty satisfying to finally achieve a flowering tillandsia specimen from your own sown seed. It certainly does look like a cross between T. aeranthos and bergeri.

The opposite cross of those two plants, i.e. T. bergeri x T. aeranthos, is the hybrid T. Bergos.
Do you think my plant below might be it? - or ?? I lost the tag after initial purchase a few years ago.

And just for comparison, here is my T. bergeri.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Kerry

Bookmark   May 4, 2009 at 6:52PM
gonzer_gw

Kerry, I have no doubt that you have 'Bergos'. It takes on the leaf color of bergeri but the petal color of aeranthos. The flower bracts look similar to a T. stricta bloom. Nice plants!

Bookmark   May 4, 2009 at 7:14PM
kerry_t_australia(9)

Oh good - thanks Gonz!

K

Bookmark   May 4, 2009 at 8:11PM
More Discussions
ID this curly Bromeliad
Ready to put these in the ground. Forgot to ask the...
halfwaythere1
Is this a bromeliad???
I got this from my aunt, who wasn't sure what it is....
embolton0620
Bert in a basket
I have an Ae Bert that I would like to plant in an...
dogboy27
ID help for a couple of things at Harry P. Leu Gardens in Orlando
I was at Leu Gardens earlier this week and, among a...
gdadtravelinig
Buying broms
Where is the best place to buy bromeliads online? Would...
josephene_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™