Butterfly Bush Shade Tolerance

shutterbugsyl(6)April 20, 2008

I received a Butterfly Bush as a gift but do not have a sunny spot where I can plant it. How shade tolerant are these plants?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
texaspuddyprint

I have three in large pots under the shade of an oak tree. They maintain their leaves very well but don't bloom much. I just haven't gotten around to figuring out where to plant them. Only the branches that get sunlight are blooming now :o)

~ Cat

Bookmark   April 20, 2008 at 7:40PM
killerv(Macon)

I have two, one is a honeycomb in total afternoon shade. I figured planting it in the shade would help keep its size in check and it certainly did. Decent amount of foliage but not a lot of flowers. My Black Knight is only a few feet away and gets a little afternoon sun and it has done great. I when I pruned it I took some cuttings and placed them in a flower pot, and dang if a few hadn't made it and are starting to grow. This will be the plants second year, I cut them back several weeks ago and already they are growing like crazy.

Bookmark   April 22, 2008 at 8:49AM
mcronin(6/7swVA)

For your zone, you will get a lot more blooms if your buddleia get as close to full sun as possible. I'm in zone6/7, and find that my 60+ buddleia do much better in full sun.

mike

Bookmark   April 22, 2008 at 9:13AM
More Discussions
Florida Butterflies.
I have posted before. I live in Sarasota, Florida and...
jane__ny
"showy milkweed" asclepias-speciosa plants available
For your information: Milkweed plants currently available...
mary_littlerockar
One Butterfly Deformed.
January 31, 2,015, at 1:30 p.m., in the afternoon.........
woollybear69
Lemon Mint Monarda - Annual, Perennial? Reseeds?
I feel like this question could be posted in 5 different...
Michaela .:. thegarden@902 .:. (Zone 5b - Iowa)
Snow and ice,come on spring !
Snow and ice on the ground here in arkansas today,has...
arkpollinator
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™