I have dealt with gophers more years than I care to remember. I've done the bombs, castor oil, castor oil based Molemax, poison grain, and planting in fiber glass window screening. They chewed right through the screening. Today I made the first hardware cage for my milkweed plants. I found quarter-inch hardware cloth at Lowe's. What I got was a 24 inch wide by 10 foot roll. Wear gloves when you work with this stuff, it can cut to the bone! I cut a 24 inch wide piece so I had a square. Then I folded it 3 times both ways so that I created nine 8 inch squares--like a tic-tac-toe board. I cut 8 inches in on one end on each of the folds. Then turned it around and did the same on the other end. So I had 2 parallel 8 inch long cuts on each end. I folded the center piece on each end in and folded the two ends across each other to form an 8 inch square open topped box. The sides are 8 inches high. This created a nice sized planting container. I had to dig out a square for the box to fit into, leaving just about a half inch above the soil level. I filled it with soil and moved one of my two remaining Asclepias variegata tubers into it. If the gopher gets through this, we are in trouble. I would think that if he even bites into it, it would draw blood. I can make 5 cages for about $12.00. I plan on caging all the perennial milkweed plants. I will let you know at the end of the season if the gopher or I win this round!
I'll try to get a photo posted.