Mixed light results

naoh123June 6, 2013

I have a general question about being stuck in a mixed light position with a variety of broms. I have a patio recessed into my condo building facing the west. During spring through summer I get about 5 hours of direct sunlight (evening), about half of those hours dappled by the two trees by the building and the other half full-on unfiltered. I have a few Aechmeas (mostly recurvatas), a Neoregelia, a pair of Ananas and a whole mess of Tillandsias. I got most of my broms in early spring and they lived behind the sliding glass door to this patio since early March where I *think* they had to time to acclimate to this condition--that is no burning from the unfiltered sunlight as of yet and no lanky growth. They've all been moved outside since it stopped dropping into the 40's out here.

My question is as we move into the summer months will the periods of unfiltered sunlight be too much for the partial-shade broms (Aechmea/Neoregelia/Tillandsia)? I'm not concerned about the Ananas, it sounds like the more sun the better, but 3 or so hours of full sun on the others I'm not quite sure and am wondering if I should be thinking about making some arrangements for shade. Anyone else in a similar position who can share their experience? Thanks for reading.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sunshine_qld

What time does the full sun start. If around 3pm they should manage. As you have them out there now they will get used to the sun as it heats up.

Bookmark   June 6, 2013 at 3:32AM
naoh123

That's great to hear, yes right around 3pm is when it manages to get over the building and hit the edge of my area.

Bookmark   June 6, 2013 at 10:23AM
tsugajunkie z5 SE WI

I can only speak for the Aechmea as mine are in similar summer light and it should be fine if acclimated to the light. As far north as we are (Illinois & Wisconsin) the sun is not so harsh.

tj

Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 10:44PM
naoh123

Thank you guys/gals for the info. So far so good, the only ill-effect I've noticed so far was an ionanthan washing out of it's fuchsia tones, though I think this was my fault since it came straight from a greenhouse into this afternoon sun earlier this month without any sort of adjustment.

Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 8:31PM
More Discussions
Vriesea pups, are they even alive?
I just separated them today, after the parent was already...
Dekumask
Impulsiv-ity and Tillandsia
Good Morning! Newbie here (to all plants). In an extremely...
Kristinkle
Thoughts on my tillandsia gardeneri?
When I bought y T. gardeneri in May last year it looked...
Iris Lau
HAVE: Neoregelias and cryptanthus for trade
Have Neoregelia Giant Fireball and Donger, also several...
ken_ny
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™