Mystery perennial

monkeybelle(7A NJ (Camden County))April 8, 2013

Hello all. Happy Spring!

Was cleaning up the garden and noticed this plant. I thought I had kept an accurate list of everything I've planted, but this one slipped by. The largest leaves are only about 1" across. I have no idea what it could be. Any guesses? I've gone through my plant list and everything is accounted for, and I don't have any good pics of this spot in my garden to compare to. I live in Southern NJ, and I tend to focus on nectar plants in this spot of my yard, if that helps any. I'm going to post on the mystery plant forum as well, but figured I'd give it a go here, too.

Any guesses (even long shots) are appreciated. I can do the research. I just don't know where to start!

Thanks,
Sandy.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Lisa_H(7)

Could it be coreopsis?

Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 4:58PM
monkeybelle(7A NJ (Camden County))

I think it is! I had thought I bought one last year, but as it wasn't on my "list" I second guessed myself. Someone on the "name the plant" forum also suggested Coreopsis auriculata, and the foliage seems to be a match.

Thanks Lisa!

Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 5:32PM
Lisa_H(7)

I have them coming up in my garden too, plus all the dry stems, I thought that was a good possibility!

Lisa

Bookmark   April 9, 2013 at 2:24PM
mary_littlerockar(8a-7b mid Arkansas)

Hi Sandy,

This looks to me like Dwarf Tickseed - Coreopsis auriculata 'Nana'. The leaves of 'Nana' are more rounded and the plant sort of mounds, low to the ground, much like your photo shows. It is a spring bloomer for me.

Mary

Bookmark   April 10, 2013 at 7:51AM
More Discussions
Host Plants by Butterfly species
Well, everything is new here. Will post this to see...
mary_littlerockar
Any one ready for spring?
I'm so done with winter! I'm ready for spring . This...
Jacob BergZone4b-5aMN
Snow and ice,come on spring !
Snow and ice on the ground here in arkansas today,has...
arkpollinator
Any one have Ptelea trifoliata?
Common name is wafer ash or hop tree. I would like...
Jacob BergZone4b-5aMN
Monsanto and monarchs
http://texasbutterflyranch.com/2015/01/27/monsanto-we-are-absolutely-committed-to-monarch-butterfly-conservation/...
arkpollinator
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™