Is this a dyckia?

randg(11)June 2, 2012

I bought it at my local urban garden last year. It was in the pot with a reddish clay soil (not potting soil), and the plant was just sitting on top of it, rootless. I presumably thought it was another one of those ornamental pineapple top that I have before that came off from the fruit.

I repotted it, I think it needs another repot soon, with some difficulties because of the thorns. Those thorns are vicious!

Is this another ornamental pineapple or a dyckia? Or was my first guess correct?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jwnesmith(8b/9)

Looks like a Dyckia to me. Go to fcbs.org and look in the Photo links and see if the Dyckia they show are like yours. You can choose both species and hybrids.

Bookmark   June 2, 2012 at 2:11PM
randg(11)

Could it also be a hechtia, according to Bancherd, a member of DyckiaBrazil forum?

Here is the root structure:

Bookmark   June 4, 2012 at 12:38AM
randg(11)

I did look at the fcbs.org, and my closest comparison is to Dyckia waechteri.

Bookmark   June 4, 2012 at 12:55AM
turtlewalker34205(9)

Your right they are both green but thats about all it was in common with it. Take a look at hechtia or maybe Orthophytum. There are a few Orthophytum that look like it also. Dyckia waechteri would be a rare find in the USA.

Here is a link that might be useful: Orthophytum

Bookmark   June 16, 2012 at 8:42AM
hotdiggetydam

Sometimes when a plant is stressed it makes and ID almost impossible.

Bookmark   June 17, 2012 at 7:26AM
randg(11)

Yes, this plant was stressed. I placed in an area where my garden hose doesn't reach, and so I sometimes forget to water it, and the potting soil was poor.

Are all dyckias have similar flowers? Right now, I think this plant is flowering because on its center is something that is growing and the tip are pinkish. I'll take a picture next time. Identifying this bromeliad as a dyckia is getting further away and more like a ornamental pineapple, me thinks.

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 12:42AM
nixwickedgarden(9)

Hi! I know it is a little late-in-the-game to be answering your post. Sorry---but, I just joined and have been reading through folk's posts.

My vote would be that it is a Hechtia. Without seeing the bloom of the plant, though, it is pretty hard to tell for sure. I have many Bromelia, Puya, Hechtia and Deuterocohnia. Quite a few of them were gifts from friends who picked them up for me from neighbors who were thinning out their landscaping! I usually have to wait 2 to 3 years before they bloom, then photograph them so I can ID them accurately.

It is a lovely looking plant--keep an eye on it, look for the location as to where it eventually pups (off-shooting from higher up the trunk within the rosette is a good identifying marker that it is a Hechtia).

Hope this helps a little, anyways! ;-)

Bookmark   September 8, 2012 at 12:22AM
nixwickedgarden(9)

randg: Just read your post about your plant going into bloom.

If it is blooming scarlet with a fuzzy white center. You may have a Bromelia Balansae or Pinguin on your hands. Balansae grows MUCH larger. I have one in bloom right now & its leaves are 4.5' long!!

They are very wicked plants---But that is why I love them! =)

Bookmark   September 8, 2012 at 12:30AM
hotdiggetydam

randg did you ever get a bloom photo?

Bookmark   September 9, 2012 at 7:10AM
More Discussions
Bert in a basket
I have an Ae Bert that I would like to plant in an...
dogboy27
HAVE: Neoregelias and cryptanthus for trade
Have Neoregelia Giant Fireball and Donger, also several...
ken_ny
Hey Nev!
What's going on with the other forum????
gonzer_gw
Impulsiv-ity and Tillandsia
Good Morning! Newbie here (to all plants). In an extremely...
Kristinkle
Vriesea pups, are they even alive?
I just separated them today, after the parent was already...
Dekumask
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™