Fun With Cross Pollination

hanzrobo(11)February 26, 2012

So, I've had this Cheiridopsis for over 2 years and this is the first time it has bloomed. I think it's either C. candidissima or a type of C. denticulata. The leaves are pretty large, 6-7". I really would like to make more of these but again, only have one.

I know 'selfing' is possible by stimulating the stigma with it's own pollen, but just don't want to chance it.

I looked around the greenhouse and the only thing close that was flowering was my recently acquired Odontophorus angustifoilus. Steven Hammer writes that these 2 genus' readily hybridize and that Odontophorus probably belongs in the Cheiridopsis group. So I pollinated the Cheiridopsis with pollen from the Odontophorus, not the other way since I had already pollinated the O's with themselves. Hopefully this results in an interesting cross.

Here are the 2 plants. Hopefully someone can help with an ID for the C...? It's leaf tips turn lavender in the sun.

Cheiridopsis...?

Odontophorus angustifoilus

I also pollinated a small Pleiospilos nelii with pollen from Aloinopsis luckhoffii and the Odontophorus, not counting on hybridization just hoping to trick it into 'selfing'.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chaparralgirl(Sonoran Desert (CA))

Y'know, I'm fond of each one of those, but the one in that first photo, the Cheiridopsis, is just...oh, what is the word I'm looking for? It's fantastic, but I feel like I use that word a lot. It looks like a person throwing both arms up to the sky in victory, joy, exuberance, excitement, whathaveyou. It's just...uplifting. :) Great show, Ryan - thanks for sharing!

*CG*

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 1:37AM
cactusjordi(z10 CA)

CG,

here is a crowd.

Jordi

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 10:59PM
chaparralgirl(Sonoran Desert (CA))

Hehe, a crowd, indeed!

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 11:11PM
hanzrobo(11)

Jordi, that's a very nice clump. I hope to be able to plant some of these out one day.

Bookmark   February 27, 2012 at 1:44AM
hanzrobo(11)

CG, that was a terrific description of the Cheiridopsis. I'm glad it brought you a good feeling.

Bookmark   February 27, 2012 at 1:52AM
pennyhal(11Sunset23)

It is a very enchanting plant. Those lavander tips really add interest and make it quite lovely!

Bookmark   February 27, 2012 at 1:06PM
hanzrobo(11)

I wish you could've seen it when I had it in full sun, nearly the whole plant was that color.

Bookmark   February 27, 2012 at 2:51PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

That first one is pretty damn ex rated if you get the limbs being the other two limbs on the body.

Bookmark   February 28, 2012 at 12:03AM
More Discussions
February blooms (2015)
After so many beautiful photos posted in January -...
rina_
ID this succulent now that it's beginning to flower?
no one was able to ID this guy before, but now that...
kwie2011
Kalanchoes outdoors in southern California
the following are some photos of some of the less common...
palmbob
Jade prune going back farther than expected? Normal???
Hey, This Jade has been through a lot and I've posted...
deva33 Z5 SE Iowa
Need Help rooting GIGANTIC Jade cutting from 30 year old specimen
As stated, someone did a HUGE favor for me (no charge...
Bama_Joe
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™