Tilly rescue

bomgJune 7, 2010

Yesterday my 9 year old daughter and I went to a garden center padlocked by city hall for non payment of taxes. There we saw hundreds of dead plants. A few were still alive but certainly looked dying. I asked the security guard if I could bring home the plants that were still alive. He said yes and even told me to get as much as I can before all the plants die. My daughter, who has small hands, reached for the barely living tillies thru the grills. All in all we rescued 4 cyaneas, 1 tricolor, 4 strictas, 4 capitatas, 2 paucifolias, 5 baileyi, 1 juncea and 3 ionanthas. There were still a number of tillies alive but my daughter can't reached them anymore. When we got home, I soaked them in water for 30 minutes, cut the dead leaves and planted them in a nice claypot with coconut chips as medium. I temporarily placed them in a bright shaded area and will remain there until they fully recover. I feel sorry for the others that were not rescued.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
splinter1804

Hi bomg,

Well it looks like you've done your good deed for the day and rescued some plants from certain death. It's just a pity your daughter doesn't have longer arms so you could have rescued more.

I'm not a Tillandsia grower, but maybe our GW "Tilly Experts" can give you some extra advice about helping them to recover.

All the best, Nev.

Bookmark   June 7, 2010 at 5:50PM
More Discussions
Thoughts on my tillandsia gardeneri?
When I bought y T. gardeneri in May last year it looked...
Iris Lau
photo #2 of id - exserta hybrid?
Here is the photo of the bloom spike. my apologies...
Brian311
Viresa question
Ok, so I have probalby already managed to kill a small...
cygnwulf
NOID brom with blue inflo
any idea what this might be? the color is just unbelievable!...
petrushka
how to keep bromelaid til i get home
Hello, a friend gave me bromelaid out of her garden...
drich30099
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™