why no xNeobergia

winterlager(10b)June 2, 2008

There is only one xNeobergia in fcbs. Is that because they aren't worth registering or what? I expect to have some on the way, so I'm a bit interested. Furthermore, can you use these bigenerics as pollen parents or even seed parents if you stick with the parent genera?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
LisaCLV(HI)

Better not count your chickens before they're hatched, WL. Bigenerics crosses don't take most of the time, although occasionally you'll get one that will. Certain combinations work better than others and certain species seem to be more receptive to a wide variety of pollen than others. Often the results tend to be pretty ugly, though, so the trick is to find a combination that is not only genetically compatible, but also esthetically pleasing.

I attempted several xNeobergias when I was first starting out, but only got one to take. I haven't registered it yet, and it's not a terribly commercial plant, but it does look better than the one that's on there. I've seen a few others too, but not many.

xNeobergia Beelzebub:

Bookmark   June 2, 2008 at 1:48PM
winterlager(10b)

I did quite a few different neo crosses with La Noche and 2 selfs for reference. The selfs aren't taking, but all the others look good. This is based on swelling of the seed sack. I guess I'll have seed (or not) in 4-5 weeks. Now that I think it worked I'm wondering what I'm going to have. I don't really want to spend a lot of time growing ugly babies but with virtually no info on xNeobergia I can't image what they'll look like.

Bookmark   June 2, 2008 at 2:39PM
LisaCLV(HI)

Sounds like they're taking. Next step is to see if they germinate. Sometimes they don't. What Neos did you put on there?

Bookmark   June 2, 2008 at 2:45PM
winterlager(10b)

I used what I had, of course, not much thought went into it.

Puppy Love, Blushing Tiger and Granada crosses are looking good.

Bookmark   June 2, 2008 at 3:06PM
winterlager(10b)

Lisa, just wonder how much variation you got in your Beelzebub grex. I assume Beelzebub is the best of the grex, but what kind of variations were there?

Bookmark   July 9, 2008 at 11:18PM
LisaCLV(HI)

Jeez, it's been so long I can't remember what the rest of them looked like, or even if there were more than one or two seedlings. Sorry. :-(

Bookmark   July 10, 2008 at 12:07AM
More Discussions
Eye candy at Sunshine Bromeliads
If you're in South Florida you definitely need to check...
halfwaythere1
Viresa question
Ok, so I have probalby already managed to kill a small...
cygnwulf
hotdiggetydam
treated timber
So the time has come to rebuild my pergola where I...
Adam Harbeck
San Diego Bromeliad Show and Sale
Hey guys, for the SoCal people: Today and tomorrow...
sdandy
Sponsored Products
Small Flower Market Colander - BLACK
$48.00 | Horchow
Blue Carrot Garden Stake
$12.99 | zulily
Black Round Metal Bar Stools - 2 Piece - 3608-24 - BLACK
$79.98 | Hayneedle
Venetian Bronze Candle Lantern
Classic Hostess
Bolla Bronze One-Light Bath Fixture with Blue Cloud Glass
$153.00 | Bellacor
DreamLine Unidoor Plus 29 to 36-1/2" W x 30-3/8" D x 72" H Hinged Shower Enclosu
Modern Bathroom
New Red Veg Dyed Super Kazak Hand Knotted Wool 2' X 6' Geometric Area Rug H5876
BH Sun Inc
Jungle Sheep Skin White Rug (5' x 7'6)
Overstock.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™