Broke large stem off a datura

valeriepa(z5-6 NEPA)February 23, 2014

It was growing better than I ever imagined , as I never over wintered plants before, Large pot fell on it and split in two. Wondering if I can take branch that fell off and attempt to root the semi ripe cutting. Can I take soft stem cuttings from what I'll have to from the branch.
Anyone know what I can do to "heal" the spot on the potted datura where the branch broke?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

Datura are not easily rooted like Brugs are. You could try but most likely it won't root. The spot where it broke off should dry and be okay. Just keep water from getting onto it for awhile.

Sometimes I take Elmer's Glue and put on the broken parts especially if it is in a spot where water can collect into the stem.
I let the area dry/heal a bit before I apply the glue and it will 'stick' better. Keep in a place where it won't get rained on for a few days for the glue to cure well.
Some people use clear silicone which comes in a tube that you use a caulking gun to apply,, Aquarium sealer (also silicone) or a product called Pruning Seal which is a spray-on tar like substance used on trees and roses etc. It is black ,though, so looks a little unsightly.

Bookmark   February 23, 2014 at 10:23AM
More Discussions
Need Brugs Cuttings
Hello, a few yrs back a very nice woman on this forum...
gardenlady48
Here's to a great World Series tonight
Looking forward to a good World Series . Guess I'm...
BeachLorax
Finally able to retrieve my brugmansia....now what?!?
Hello everyone. I am hoping one of you experts will...
rnb68
Dr. Seuss got a little cold
Ok, so advice - Vinyl greenhouses from Big Lots cannot...
cygnwulf
Brugmansia cuttings wanted
I'm looking for Brugmansia cuttings I'll pay postage...
rowtow
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™