How should I separate this pup from the parent?

jkrup44(9B FL)June 6, 2009

Hi. I am fairly new to bromeliads. I just bought this beautiful one and I noticed it has a pup growing from the side. I would like to separate it and grow it in another pot, but I haven't tried it before. I really do not want to harm either the pup or the parent. How should I go about doing this? Is there a lot of risk that the pup could die if I try to separate it? Would anyone care to ID this bromeliad? Thanks!

Josh

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
splinter1804

Hi Josh,
Your plant is one of many thousands of beautiful variegated Neoregelias, as for its specific name, sorry I can't help you but maybe someone else here can.

As for the pup, I would say at this stage it's too small for removal. I personally like to let them get at least half the size of the mother before I remove them but I know of many other growers who remove them earlier.

You're probably better speaking to growers in you own area who could better advise you about what's best in your environment.

Also, you can use the search engine on this forum to find lots of info. on pup removal.

All the best, Nev.

Bookmark   June 6, 2009 at 4:22PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jkrup44(9B FL)

Ok, I appreciate the info Nev. I'll just give it a bigger pot and wait until the pup is bigger to remove it. Thanks!
Josh

Bookmark   June 8, 2009 at 6:51PM
More Discussions
ID this curly Bromeliad
Ready to put these in the ground. Forgot to ask the...
halfwaythere1
how to keep bromelaid til i get home
Hello, a friend gave me bromelaid out of her garden...
drich30099
Please help with ID
Can someone please ID this Brom for me.
gardencraze
Hey Nev!
What's going on with the other forum????
gonzer_gw
treated timber
So the time has come to rebuild my pergola where I...
Adam Harbeck
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™