Pollen longevity?

rredbbeard(SE CT USA/zone 6)December 6, 2009

If pollen is stored securely in the fridge, how long is it viable? Is it better to let it dry out in the fridge, or protect it from drying out?

Thanks!

--Rr

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jodik_gw

Pollen should be stored in airtight vials or containers in the refrigerator, and according to Veronica Read's book, it will last about 5 months, or thereabouts.

The pollen should be stored in either gelcaps, or plastic or glass vials, and a desiccant should be used to absorb moisture. Desiccant can usually be obtained at a craft store, and you should be able to locate gelcaps or vials there, too.

Pollen can also be frozen, if you want to store it longer. It's important to let the pollen and desiccant filled vials sit at room temperature for 24 hours prior to freezing, to allow any moisture from the pollen to be absorbed by the desiccant. Replace the moisture laden desiccant with fresh before freezing.

Keep an eye on the desiccant... you'll want to exchange it for fresh desiccant as it absorbs moisture and changes color.

Bookmark   December 6, 2009 at 12:50PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)

I had pollen from spring 2007 pollinate flowers in spring 2008 and I have nice seedlings. I store my pollen in clean pill vials.
Kristi

Bookmark   December 6, 2009 at 4:07PM
More Discussions
Red Flaslh
If I have a favorite Komoriya bulb I think Red Flash...
jstropic
Rebloomer 'Giraffe'
Reblooming 'Giraffe' First scape with 5 flowers!! :)...
lenanen
Charisma x Tinkerbell
Hi Everyone, In 2012 I sent some pollen from my original...
dondeldux
OK...who won the Houzz iPad??
It wasn't me! Although, with my new Houzz tape measure,...
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
Disgusting!
OMG! The stink and the shameful waste.
blancawing
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™