Grand Cru

Noni MorrisonDecember 28, 2010

I have not seen anyone talking about this one but am so crazy about it! I have taken photos but since it is red, I really need to wait for daylight and take some outside. I think a description might be better anyhow.

Grand Cru is by color a beautiful current red, with both lighter and darker shadings, going to almost black along the mid lines. There are almost iridescent shimmers. Along the lower petals there is a slight ruffling.

The texture is like a heavy, luxuient satin ball gown! It also seems to be lasting well.

This morning I plan to use some of its pollen on my last "Eternal Princess" flower out in the greenhouse, but I brought this one in to light our Christmas Day and we got to watch it opening for the first time.

I think this was one of the ones I bought from Van Engelen, which means there should be 2 more like it out in the greenhouse. I sure hope so, Anyhow!

If you see a bulb for sale, grab it!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)

I LOVE (ok loved) my Grand Cru. I got it at WalMart and it was the most spectacular bulb. I know I have previously posted photos of it on this forum. I have a 2nd from MZ, but it's never bloomed.
Kristi

Bookmark   December 28, 2010 at 8:04PM
Noni Morrison

Nice to find someone else who loved (loves!) it! And I did find two more in the greenhouse who have nice buds coming. Mine are among the healthiest of the bulbs I bought this year and that went through the freeze. We had a shopping trip to the city and to take my sister to the train today. My sis brought back the bulbs I had given her in past years, a Scarlet Baby and something pink I gave her 2 yrs ago, and both have bulbs on them! I have a Sweet Nymph for her to take home New Years when she will have car available for the 2 hr ride home.

I hope tomorrow to be able to photograph Grand Cru in natural daylight. The ruffles down the sides of the petals are unlike anything I remember seeing, as is the variation in shades of red on the petals. I am betting she will be a wonderful "cut flower" due to the heavy substance of her petals!

Bookmark   December 28, 2010 at 11:15PM
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)

Had to go back 2 years to find this! While going through photos I also realized that I liked Carmen too. I'm not usually a "red" person.
K

Bookmark   December 29, 2010 at 7:57PM
More Discussions
Amaryllis beds past and present
Spring 2005 Spring 2007 Spring 2008 I used to plant...
brigarif Khan
My doubles
My Hippeastrums which I jokingly called Mutts are actually...
brigarif Khan
Coming to life
My Amaryllis beds are coming to life
brigarif Khan
Blooms
Some of my blooms. Have way too many flowering bulbs...
Jesse Ortiz
Seed pod help!
A few of my amaryllis have gone to seed. So far, two...
amaryllisgirl123 (zone 7 NJ USA)
Sponsored Products
LBL Lighting | Constellation Grande Suspension Light
YLighting
Linville Tufted Sleigh Bed
FRONTGATE
Savoy House Monte Grande Traditional Outdoor Wall Light
1800Lighting
Grand Central Poster Bed - IDF-7260Q
$899.95 | Hayneedle
Wooden Urn Table Lamp With Square Bell Shade
ParrotUncle