Is this pup big enough to remove to grow on its own?

acceJune 30, 2010

Or should I wait another week? I just noticed this after I bought the plant at lowes.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vriesea

I think you may have to wait more than a week for that one ,i would wait till its one third the size of the mother plant,
Jack

Bookmark   June 30, 2010 at 4:47PM
LisaCLV(HI)

Ditto. I'd be inclined to give it another month or two. Guzmanias can be a bit tricky for some people to root successfully, so I'd wait until it's at least half the size of the mother.

Bookmark   June 30, 2010 at 7:21PM
haxuan(Vietnam)

Lisa: I read your post "half the size of the mother". But may I ask, half the "height" or the "width" of the mother?

In the above photo, I see that the pup is almost as tall as the mother!

Thanks for your clarification.

Xuan

Bookmark   July 1, 2010 at 8:57AM
LisaCLV(HI)

Half the overall mass, Xuan. You can't go strictly by either height or width, as that can be misleading, but you're looking for enough bulk to survive on its own. Maybe half the amount of leaves would be a better measure.

Of course if you see roots on a pup that's another sign that it is probably large enough to remove, but you're not likely to see that on Guzmanias. They don't tend to form roots before removal, unless you let them get REALLY big (as big as the mother). That's why they can be a bit more difficult to root than some other genera, particularly for people who live in cooler, drier climates. For us in the tropics, it's usually not a problem.

Bookmark   July 1, 2010 at 1:10PM
More Discussions
HAVE: Neoregelias and cryptanthus for trade
Have Neoregelia Giant Fireball and Donger, also several...
ken_ny
Tillandsia for desert climate?
Hello, I recently picked up an interesting hanging...
desert_jay
ID Please
Another one I lost the tag to,can you please help me...
gardencraze
Impulsiv-ity and Tillandsia
Good Morning! Newbie here (to all plants). In an extremely...
Kristinkle
Please identify this plant.
Hello from St. John, I purchased this plant about 14...
caribbeancupcake
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™