Monarch Cats Spotted

rickinla(8B SW AL)April 19, 2013

Evidently a Monarch mama visited my Tropical Milkweed and I found 5 cats this afternoon. The milkweed is blooming and when I checked the blooms, there they were. Unfortunately, we're having a low of 43 tonight so I hope the cats can handle the cold weather. I still haven't seen a Monarch this year but they must be around.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mechelle_m(z9 TX)

The cats should be fine. They usually go into a state of diapause when it is too cold for them. I bring most of my cats inside and raise them in cages inside, lets me watch their progress and keeps them safe from predators. You have to be careful of OE spore, though. I thoroughly clean and sterilize my cages between raising groups of butterflies.

I have had lots of activity already this season! I have purchased 2 flats of milkweed and they are all chewed down already! All of the milkweed I have in the ground hasn't bushed out with leaves as yet. I need to get out and cut it all back so the leaves will be stimulated to grow.

Best of luck to you! Keep an eye on your cats and enjoy their progress!

Bookmark   April 20, 2013 at 12:45AM
docmom_gw Zone 5 MI(5)

I am so glad for both of you! If you are seeing lots of activity, that's a good omen for us northerners. Take good care of those babies and send them our way when you can. We're getting ready. My goal for today is to get my annual nectar plants planted so they'll be blooming when the Monarchs come through.

Martha

Bookmark   April 20, 2013 at 8:26AM
misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)

Congrats, Rick!

My milkweed isn't very tall yet - too many cold spells, I guess - but I'll check it for cats.

Sherry

Bookmark   April 20, 2013 at 10:23AM
rickinla(8B SW AL)

I kept 4 plants in pots under lights in the barn this winter and put them out a couple of weeks ago. They are blooming and have seed pods. The cats seem to prefer the yellow variety over the red/yellow variety, as I have only spotted them on the yellow ones. I checked this morning and everyone seems fine, chewing away. I have some screen material to make an enclosure but haven't gotten to it yet. Hopefully they'll do fine on their own.

Bookmark   April 20, 2013 at 11:26AM
Leafhead

Good to know people are seeing butterflies and cats. Gives me hope for warmer and sunnier days.

Bookmark   April 20, 2013 at 12:42PM
More Discussions
Anyone have advice on wood pupators?
Was out gathering food for my cecropias the other day...
KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH
Host Plants by Butterfly species
Well, everything is new here. Will post this to see...
mary_littlerockar
Zebra Longwing Butterfly.
This is a photo, of a beautiful, Zebra Longwing Butterfly,...
woollybear69
Florida Butterflies.
I have posted before. I live in Sarasota, Florida and...
jane__ny
Looking for a source of beautiful, realistic fake butterflies
I am helping a friend decorate her baby nursery. I...
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™