I'm still here!

CorpsmanCooper(FL8b)February 9, 2012

This semester of school is a bear so please excuse me for not being around much! Anyway, I was running around yesterday and I stopped at a big box store to see if they got their shipment of succulents and cacti in. Well, they had! I only had a few dollars on me so I was having a panic attack trying to pick just a few! It was so hard! However, I settled on a Haworthia cuspidata and an Aloe 'pink blush'. This big box store is right up the road from my college so it will take everything I have in me not to go there in between classes today! They had some beautiful Aeonium too! Anyway, as far as I can tell the Haworthia has about 8 pups. Should I separate them or leave them alone for now?

~Erin~

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chaparralgirl(Sonoran Desert (CA))

Hi, Erin! I think we all understand, life is what happens when you're not on GW C&S. :) Glad you can pop in now and again, though!

*CG*

Bookmark   February 9, 2012 at 11:33AM
bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI

Erin, I think it is really a question of the "look" you want. Many members of the Haworthia genus pup freely while others remain solitary. There are pros and cons for both. A solitary head may show off its character better than being lost among a bunch of siblings. On the other hand, a massive display is definitely impressive! So in the end it really is your artistic choice. Glad you are still here... but now it's time to go back and study.... this is your dad speaking... (-:

Bookmark   February 9, 2012 at 11:59AM
Stush2049(Pitts., Pa. 6)

Erin, Good to hear from you. Great going. I don't know how you do all that you do.

Bookmark   February 9, 2012 at 1:37PM
ctreeteac(Zone 8b; rain-spewing Oregon)

I'm on the side of impressiveness of a massive clump. I personally want the pups attached to mum...but then I tend not to rock the boat, too, and I would rather not pull a pup and accidentally lose the root system. I also think about the particular plant's pupping tendencies when making the decision to divide...My large H. cuspidata has been pretty productive, and I can't imagine how many pots I would end up with if I separated all of them--and I don't risk Haws in the winter and would be bringing them inside the house (well, I have them inside year-round, but even so). That's more pots to deal with and pay for, and a lot more to haul around when need be, and takes up more space. I do remember what recently happened to you this winter, with your awful losses, so I mention winter and plant-hauling with the idea that next winter might be a different work scenario for ya. Now, if you were wanting to eventually sell or just get the most plants with pups going possible, possible great idea, though.

Maybe first take a look at photos of enormous clusters of Haws and just see if your heart melts. :)

Biker, I always swoon at your Haw pics. :)

Bookmark   February 9, 2012 at 3:40PM
pennyhal(11Sunset23)

Erin, are you in Florida now?
Penny

Bookmark   February 10, 2012 at 1:13PM
CorpsmanCooper(FL8b)

Penny - I've been in Florida since I joined GW lol

~Erin~

Bookmark   February 10, 2012 at 4:37PM
pennyhal(11Sunset23)

Sorry, I must have mixed you up with someone else who might be moving.

Bookmark   February 10, 2012 at 5:46PM
CorpsmanCooper(FL8b)

We might be moving but it won't for a while.

~Erin~

Bookmark   February 12, 2012 at 9:54AM
More Discussions
Al's Gritty Mix
Need help finding Bark Fines and Gritty Mix in Greenville,...
Gigi z 7B, Upstate SC, USA
Jade prune going back farther than expected? Normal???
Hey, This Jade has been through a lot and I've posted...
deva33 Z5 SE Iowa
Echeveria ID, please.
I need help identifying this echeveria. Thanks! :)
_sbgibbons_
Kalanchoes outdoors in southern California
the following are some photos of some of the less common...
palmbob
My very first 'Terrarium' and need advice on watering.
So this is my first time doing Terrarium, and i want...
kizasugondo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™