Deviant Lithops, or Do These Plants Make My Butt Look Fat?

seedmoneyFebruary 8, 2013

Greetings,
What's up with this? Two individual Lithops in my collection are misbehaving: On the surface all appears normal, looking down one can see the typical appearance of new plant bodies--but take a side shot and you see an aberrant new plant tearing through the old one's skin. What causes this?

Here is a link that might be useful: Deviant Lithops, or Do These Plants Make My Butt Look Fat?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rosemariero6(z10 /ss24 So. Calif.)

Ha ha ha ha, what a title! LOL I dunno...breach birth??? :P Have never seen growth like this before.

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 11:16AM
kaktuskris

Whatever the cause, pretty darn cool if you ask me...

Christopher

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 11:40AM
Beachplants(Z11)

It does happen! Remember those new heads may burn if you lift the old head and they get direct sun...lovely colours by the way.

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 12:37PM
hanzrobo(11)

Hahaha, great title. Like Beach, I've seen this happen a few times and yes, sudden exposure to sun is not good.
I think this happens when you buy a plant grown by a grower who uses lower light and more fertilizer to grow plant big and fast. When you get it home and place it in higher light the sidewalls, which are usually protected in nature, become exposed and burn/dry out. I also think the new leaves adjust to higher light before they emerge and so will grow more compact, not high up enough to split the old leaves. Then we have a simple matter of following the path of least resistance.

Do these plants make my butt look fat... you're so funny. Thanks for the laugh.

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 3:02PM
hanzrobo(11)

Oh, BTW, I think you have a type of L. aucampiae there.

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 3:03PM
Beachplants(Z11)

Maybe var aucampiae C173 (kuruman form)?

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 3:55PM
hanzrobo(11)

I'm thinking it's maybe C325? Link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: L. aucampiae ssp. aucampiae v. aucampiae

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 5:29PM
seedmoney

Thanks, guys!
Am I correct in thinking I can legally name them both L. aucampiae? Believe me, I'm thrilled to have it down to species level... After visiting the Lithops site, I 'm convinced it would take a lifetime to become adept at identifying all the sundry forms and subspecies!

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 7:23PM
hanzrobo(11)

No prob, Money. I know what you mean. I'm just getting to the point where I can ID some of the species by sight. I still had to look through a bunch of photos to even make a guess at C325, one of about 25 listed Cole aucampiae species. I also looked at a bunch of examples of L. lesliei but those didn't stick.
I was only looking at your #1 when I guessed at C325. Your #2 might be something different but still aucampiae. I think you can pretty confidently say that both are some type of aucampiae.

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 9:08PM
Beachplants(Z11)

Forgot about that site, I just ref. the cole book, yes could be. But it is just a guess, unless you have them from seed, variability is so big.

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 10:38PM
More Discussions
Jade fused trunk
Hi all, been reading for a while, first time poster. My...
andymac85
What kind of succulent is this?
Hi there. We cant seem to find what kind of succulent...
filipfilm
Help with jade plant growth
I have had my jade plant for over 10 years and it has...
jpkaylor
Do you have crazy sedums
So do you i have some sedums in a pot golden sedum...
spikef35
Mother of Thousands (Kalanchoe)- can I prune it?
I have two of these in pots. The main problem is that...
elizabethk1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™