Need help with my wrinkly adromischus sp

Logan2February 7, 2013

I got these plants before fall and they were all pump and juicy. But it started to get a little wrinkly and hasn't gotten any better for 3 months. Look at the leaves on this adromischus sp, it's gotten so wrinkly and it falls off so easily. There are leave droppings all around the plant. While the new leaves looks nice and plump, the medium and larger leaves just won't plump up. I mist them about twice a week. And give them water drips about once a month. They stay indoor by the window during the day (warm), and at night I move them away from the window so they don't get the frost bite. Is this a winter thing or is this my bad care?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hanzrobo(11)

I start getting slow new growth around this time of year with Adromischus. I grow them outdoors but I wish I had room for them in the greenhouse because I don't like the way they perform when it gets wet and cold. Anyhow, yours could use a good watering and the Winter-growing Cheiridopsis next to it won't mind a good soak either. The good news is Adros are easy to propagate from leaves.

Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 1:14PM
Beachplants(Z11)

Could the 'cheiridopsis' be a Gibbaeum velutinum?

Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 2:37PM
hanzrobo(11)

I think you may be right, Beach. They do look velvety when you zoom in and no spots is a giveaway. Sorry.
The shape of them looks like the way my C. excavata is growing right now. On the other hand, I don't see any of the curves or hooks usually associated with G. velutinum. Any other suggestions? Well, Logan seems to have the ID's for his plants so maybe he can clear this up when he checks back in:)

Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 2:56PM
Logan2

Thanks for the suggestion hanzrobo.. I think I will have to read through all your comments on the different types and replant them in different pots. They are so cute together, I really wanted to group them up some how. You mentioned your adromischs grows outdoors, does the leaves falls off easily? Even when I first got mine while nice and plump, slightest touch really breaks off the leaves.

The other plant is actually crassula grisea

Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 4:43PM
hanzrobo(11)

Haha, wow! I can't believe I didn't realize it's a Crassula! It's totally obvious now. It's not doing that Mesemb thing with the emerging leaves. I'm just going to start calling everything a Mesemb, look out folks!

Logan, I grow in a really mellow environment so I keep most of my plants outdoors. Adromischus are generally delicate plants in respect to handling, some more than others. The leaves break off easily and even moreso if the plant is saturated. Otherwise, I find them to be quite easy to keep alive in the right setting.

Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 5:02PM
Beachplants(Z11)

Wow, that was total mismatch! Hehe Did not even think of Crassula.

Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 9:37PM
More Discussions
Help with jade plant growth
I have had my jade plant for over 10 years and it has...
jpkaylor
Aloe ID
Anyone here know the ID of this aloe? This is over...
russ_fla
Echeveria leaves falling off and stem turning dark?
Hello, I'm new on this website and could use some help...
adelalis
What to do with this?
Hi everyone we had this superb plant in our garden...
garazy
Help new cacti ID and everything is dying :/
Ok a bit dramatic but here's my new cacti Close ups If...
birdgerhl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™