broken brug trunk

IsitcoolFebruary 11, 2012

accidentally snapped off the upper (green part) 6 - 7 inches off one of my my overwintering brugs inside our home ......these are 2nd year tree type brugs, I plan to overwinter them indoors every winter and put them back out in May .....what do I do ?? what is best way to keep this established & nicely rooted plant safe & happy after this incident ?? I have no desire to save or rescue the part that snapped off (although it did have quite a bit of foliage on it) thanks for the help !!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gordonhawk(7/ NYC)

well it will grow out fine.. but I'm afraid it's going to think of it's self as a bush type now

Bookmark   February 11, 2012 at 10:09PM
karyn1(7a)

New growth will appear at the leaf nodes below the break and it will be bushier but you can snap off all but one of the new branches if you don't care for the shape.

Bookmark   February 12, 2012 at 12:01PM
rmbill(6a)

I think it is a good idea to snap the tips off when it gets to a fair heighth anyway. It should make for lots more blossoms in the long run. Correct me if I am wrong.
Bill

Bookmark   February 12, 2012 at 3:21PM
mantorvillain(z4bMN Dodge)

I'm with Bill. Some of my 5+ year old plants have gradually gotten to a height it is problematic when I bring them in for dormancey as my old cool basement has a pretty low ceiling. I've (painfully) decapitated (to a height of 4-5 feet) some over the years then allowed 3-5 side sprouts
to develop near the top which (If I'm lucky) develops into a canopy which is actually nicer than the original...and low enough to enjoy. If that doesn't work out as planned (ever happen to anyone else out there LOL?) you can always take trunk cuttings and start all over again.
Will

Bookmark   February 12, 2012 at 6:28PM
marcie_new(z8)

Well I know that cuttings are very easy to water root, as a matter of fact I rooted some cuttings in water and they put out very nice roots and I have them potted up. Marcie

Bookmark   February 13, 2012 at 11:32AM
More Discussions
WANTED: Rooted Cuttings. Any Variety
I spent a small fortune on small UNROOTED cuttings,...
poohbearlvr
Anyone have Painted Lady cuttings?
As common as painted lady used to be i am having trouble...
xeriscape8321
Brug cuttings:
Good morning all, would like to know if anyone has...
plantmasterm
Finally able to retrieve my brugmansia....now what?!?
Hello everyone. I am hoping one of you experts will...
rnb68
Screwed By 7servant7
Well, Take a Look At The Picture 7servant7 Is Displaying...
byrd4460
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™