Too soon to plant milkweed plant

callalilykris(z5b MI)April 7, 2013

Hi
I am new to planting milkweed. Is it too soon to plant 1 gallon plants in Michigan now?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH

I would not do it. You likely won't see monarchs until early June. If you want monarchs laying lots of eggs on your plants, you don't want old plants. I'd suggest having your milkweeds seeds sprouting around the 1st or 2nd week of May. The trick is to have young plants that are attractive to egg laying monarchs plus have enough leaves to feed the caterpillars.

In my experience, monarchs' favorite milkweeds to lay eggs on are around 2" tall. So when I say they like young plants, I mean YOUNG. Once you get your milkweed established, make sure you check the tiny plants that are coming up later in the year. They will come up from the spreading rhizomes.

Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 12:11AM
linda_tx8(8)

The OP didn't mention the species on the milkweed or whether seedlings were to be started.

Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 9:04AM
KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH

I knew that but your reminder made me think more about it. As someone who spent a lot of time in MI, I figure when a Michigander says "milkweed," she means common milkweed. But now I'm thinking you don't usually find common milkweed in 1 gallon pots, something I had not considered before answering.

So, Kris, what kind of milkweed are you talking about since my answer would not apply to all milkweed.

Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 9:45AM
More Discussions
Caterpillars on our Acacia
We bought a little acacia a year ago. I'm not sure...
llilibel03
Help for monarchs?
US Fish and Wildlife is spending some money to save...
socalgal_gw Zone USDA 10b Sunset 24
Camera settings for butterflies...part II
The first part of this series on custom settings established...
bob_71
Monarch Caterpillars out of food!
I grow a few milkweeds for the monarch butterflies,...
SoFL Rose z10
Lemon Mint Monarda - Annual, Perennial? Reseeds?
I feel like this question could be posted in 5 different...
Michaela .:. thegarden@902 .:. (Zone 5b - Iowa)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™