Reviving Frozen San Pedro

jmsiderFebruary 23, 2009

Hey guys!

I seem to have run into a minor problem growing my San Pedro cactus. The weather here in Connecticut reached fifty degrees the week prior, so I placed my cactus outside. Unfortunately, I left the state and forgot to bring the cactus back indoors a week of frost/snow occurred. Now the cactus is very spongy to the touch, but doesn't appear to be rotted anywhere.

Any tips on reviving the cactus, or eliminating the damaged areas and hopefully being able to re grow the cactus by sectioning it off?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pasimachus(z4 MN)

A sad (but likely) possibility is that your sponginess is a precursor to rot. Keep a careful eye on it. If you are having rot, and it would be hard to imagine that you don't after a week of freezing weather, your best hope is to regrow by sections. Cut off any rotten parts, save non-rotten parts, and put them in a dry location until April or so. Then pot them up.

If this were my plant, I would consider taking it out of the pot, removing the dirt, and hoping that this will head off rotting. Other than that, I don't think there's much you can do other than keep your plant dry and hope. You'll know one way or the other by spring.

Bookmark   February 23, 2009 at 8:51PM
More Discussions
Jades on Sunday Morning
For me, one of the joys of Sunday is being able to...
kaktuskris
Could someone identify this plant?
I'm pretty sure this guy is in a succulent family....
RobynDarlene
Echeveria leaves falling off and stem turning dark?
Hello, I'm new on this website and could use some help...
adelalis
hen and chicks not faring well indoors--- suggestions?
Hi, Even as a child, I usually had hen and chicks outdoors...
iaskedforwater
February blooms (2015)
After so many beautiful photos posted in January -...
rina_
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™