Is this Neoregelia "Inkwell"?

gosalskJune 9, 2014

I snagged these guys last year, at a Walmart of all places. The guy with the lighter colors gets way more sun. Pretty sure they're the same plant.

And I'm 99% sure they're Neo. Inkwell, but that one -- there seem to be at least two distinct plants with that name, not counting the variegated one. What's the deal?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gosalsk

Here's a picture of his brother (bottom) and a bonus mystery plant (top). The mystery plant at the top is about 1/2 the size of the others.

Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 11:30PM
gosalsk

Oh, I should add -- if the top plant looks a little beat up, it's 'cause a tree fell on it last year.

Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 11:34PM
hotdiggetydam

Your plant albo-marginata so its not Inkwell. Its a (carolinae x concentrica) hybrid. Thousands of hybrids were produced from
these plants that were never registered. They are grown for commercial sale.

Bookmark   June 10, 2014 at 10:18AM
gosalsk

There seems to be both variegated and albo Inkwell, at least that's what I see when looking at various pictures of them on the registry websites.

I don't doubt you about the plant's provenance, but if you do a google image search for 'Neoregelia inkwell,' a lot of plants come up that look like mine.

https://www.google.com/search?q=neoregelia+inkwell&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X

For what it's worth, the Walmart also had plants that I thought were well-known hybrids. I recognized:

Neo. Tangerine
Bill. Casa Blanca
Neo. Fireball
Neo. Kilauea Fire
Vr. G. Nova
Ae. Little Harv
A. Skinneri
Ae. Mend

And a few others I'm forgetting, along with the above plants and a big green neo I couldn't identify.

Here is a link that might be useful: Google search

Bookmark   June 10, 2014 at 2:20PM
hotdiggetydam

You list of plants are commercialy grown plants. They have been around along time. I don't use google. The BCR is your most reliable source. And FCBS.org The albo version is a revert plant and not something that will reproduce pups identical to the mom consistantly. Many of Chester's early hybrids were less stable than what he know produces.

Bookmark   June 13, 2014 at 6:57AM
hotdiggetydam

Look up Yin and Yang

Bookmark   June 13, 2014 at 7:04AM
More Discussions
seeking info on Neo Royal Flush
A web search gives me a wide range of conflicting information...
pearlbegonia
Thoughts on my tillandsia gardeneri?
When I bought y T. gardeneri in May last year it looked...
Iris Lau
colour change + floppy plants
hi all, i was shocked to find that 2 of my plants had...
drmedusae
Bert in a basket
I have an Ae Bert that I would like to plant in an...
dogboy27
hotdiggetydam
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™