Tillandsia pamelae

crazyorchids(NSW Aust)June 13, 2009

Hi,

I have a plant of T. pamelae with a flower spike and a friend has brought his to my place in order to cross pollinate these. The spike on both these plants have been out for almost three months without sign of any flower to date.

Questions: Does anyone know how long before the flowers make an appearance? Will the mother plants pup at this stage? We are in Sydney and winter has set in, will the lower temperatures hamper the possibility of getting flowers or pups for that matter?

I am told these plants only pup or have grass pups at a young age. Is this true? I did have one pup just before the spike presented but that rotted off (really made me cross).

What else can anyone tell me about this plant? I think I need all the help I can get.

If we are successful in cross pollinating these plants seed will be avilable. I do not sell my plants or seed.

Jose

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gonzer_gw

T. pamelae has a very long lasting inflo which eventually turns an attractive white "color" after many months. After 3 months you should be seeing flowers but be vigilant since they don't last long. I'm surprised you got even a grass pup as this species is monocarpic. Named in honor of Pam Koide of Birdrock Tropicals fame.

Bookmark   June 14, 2009 at 8:43AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
solo78

If well fed, T. pamelae can produce a couple of decent pups before and after flowering. They aren't the big strong pups one would get on something like T.deppeana, but they are a bit more substantial than a grass pup. The pups on T.pamelae tend to form on a bit of a runner. Quite interesting.

I don't know how cold temperatures would affect flowering, but plants can go on flowering for many months and sometimes the ends of the flower spikes will start to grow again and produce more flowers.

If pollinated, it will produce a huge amount of seed.

Seed is easy to germinate, but tend to die off en-masse shortly after germination. Many have reported this difficulty. I had spectacular germination and now I only have about 5 seedlings left!

Hope this helps!

PS if you get any spare seed, I'd be happy to trade you something! I wouldn't mind giving it another shot!

Bookmark   June 21, 2009 at 4:06AM
More Discussions
Aech ampla
Does anybody out there grow Aech ampla? Do you have...
avane_gw
id help- tillandsia exserta hybrid?
I traded a friend of mine for this.Its original tag...
Brian311
NOID brom with blue inflo
any idea what this might be? the color is just unbelievable!...
petrushka
Anybody want to ID these Tillandsias?
I got 7 Tillandsias yesterday from a small store.....
MrBlubs
treated timber
So the time has come to rebuild my pergola where I...
Adam Harbeck
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™