Is my Jade quite ill, or is this normal...?
Please excuse me if I mess something up, here. I have never participated in a forum- just browsed. Shy, I guess! But I might as well start, now, because I am planning an overly ambitious veggie garden this year and I'm sure I'll need help from all of the geniuses on here!
My current issue involves my Jade plant. I will attempt to add more photos of my problem, if I can figure out how.
My Jade is dropping leaves like crazy. Normally, I wouldn't worry. It has dropped a leaf or two here and there, over the years- no problem. This time, I would say the leaf drop is significant. Probably 30 leaves, and counting. Here are the details:
1) Significant leaf drop.
2) Dropping leaves are soft, yellow, translucent and spotted (see photos to come).
3) Remaining leaves are dark, firm and many have red tips.
4) Trunk is firm.
5) Plant only gets watered only when the healthy leaves feel a bit squishy.
6) Plant lives at a southern window with sun all day, although it did spend this winter at a shaded southern window, which is eventually where this leaf drop started. I quickly moved it back to its fave window about 2 weeks ago, and still, leaves are yellowing and dropping.
7) I've had the plant for many years, and it has grown like crazy!
8) The plant was re-potted spring 2013 in part soil, part sand.
9) I have never fed the plant, other than when it has been re-potted in the potting mix that contained "food."
- Temperature where plant lives is 65-75 degrees F.
I can't seem to think of any other pertinent details. The leaves that are dropping seem to be coming from the main trunk and older branches. So far, all of the new shoots are safe.
I am hoping that this is normal, and that my Big Momma is just dropping old leaves to make room for new growth branches. I was able to get close enough to see where one leaf fell, there is a little nubby that looks like it wants to turn into something (see photo to come). I am only concerned because of the diseased look to these leaves. In the past, the leaves that have dropped have appeared healthy, and have been able to grow new babies!
This is probably way too long. I don't know the etiquette, quite yet. Thanks, in advance! I hope to make some new friends, here.